• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Desperate times for estate agents"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ide-homes.html

"Rent dodgers are to be publicly shamed in a drastic new move from frustrated estate agents suffering in the economic crisis."

In that case, I'm putting up a sign outside their house that says "Estate agent lives here". We'll see who gets the most broken windows.

A Rent Dodger

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    I think apartments in Spain are particularly good value at the moment...

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

top quality genesis post

Thankfully not of the Sarah Palin variety....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    He's 'aving a larf ....

Paper late !", cried a voice in the crowd;
    Mmm-mm-mm, "Old man dies,

The note he left was signed
    "Old Father Thames" - it seems he's drowned
    Selling England by the Pound

Citizens of Hope & Glory
    Time goes by - it's "the time of your life"
    Easy now, sit you down
    Chewing through your Wimpy dreams
    They eat without a sound
    Digesting England by the pound

top quality genesis post

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    It all depends....

If you have the cash and do not need a mortgage AND you are in it for the long term and do not have to rely on continual rental income then buying carefully chosen property now is a very good idea in the right area.

Full marks from me to the estate agent for trying!
    By the same logic. if you were to wait another year chances are you could select an equivalent property discounted by - 30 per perhaps even 70 per cent.

For time being - the smart money will stay out the property market.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
    "The question is as to the best method of
    protecting money in the current climate and
    the simple answer is to invest in property. "

I wonder if he burst into a maniacal laugh as he wrote that similar to I did when I read it.
    It all depends....

If you have the cash and do not need a mortgage AND you are in it for the long term and do not have to rely on continual rental income then buying carefully chosen property now is a very good idea in the right area.

Full marks from me to the estate agent for trying!

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Latest tactic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ide-homes.html

"Rent dodgers are to be publicly shamed in a drastic new move from frustrated estate agents suffering in the economic crisis."

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Hi Milan,

You have just reminded me of a story told by my German teacher at school. Apparently his father had sold a block of flats just before hyperinflation kicked in in Germany, and within a short space of time, the money he had got for his flats would only buy a wheel of cheese.
    There's the problem, right there. If the Germans are supposed to be such brilliant engineers why were they making their wheels out of cheese? No wonder they needed to be kicked back into shape by a chippy Austrian with a comic moustache.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Hi Milan,

You have just reminded me of a story told by my German teacher at school. Apparently his father had sold a block of flats just before hyperinflation kicked in in Germany, and within a short space of time, the money he had got for his flats would only buy a wheel of cheese.

Another from Germany during the height of Hyper-Inflation - a shopper went into a butchers to buy some wurst - outside the shop she left a basket full of banknotes.

When she left the shop somebody had stolen the basket and left the money on the pavement.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Mule,

don't knock it, with all this bail out money being pumped into the systems and funded by tax payers, one has to wonder is the consequence will be inflation

if so, although a hard decision to stomach today, it may be a very shrewd medium term move to get out of cash and into property and assets which will rise with the inflation

those at the back, think long and hard before laughing at what I just said.
    Hi Milan,

Last edited by Sysman; 8 October 2008, 09:04.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Moscow,

sorry sorry sorry

you're right

it was Moose

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    He's 'aving a larf ....

Paper late !", cried a voice in the crowd;
    Mmm-mm-mm, "Old man dies,

The note he left was signed
    "Old Father Thames" - it seems he's drowned
    Selling England by the Pound

Citizens of Hope & Glory
    Time goes by - it's "the time of your life"
    Easy now, sit you down
    Chewing through your Wimpy dreams
    They eat without a sound
    Digesting England by the pound

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    maybe it was someone else,

but some here was getting on really well with a bird that they worked with on the Instant Messenger, and then they told the bird by instant message that they loved the bird and then the bird stopped talking to them and the person already had a mrs

and then I missed a load of episodes

not you ?

Milan.
    Nah, that was Moosennnnn (I forget what numbers they were)

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied

but some here was getting on really well with a bird that they worked with on the Instant Messenger, and then they told the bird by instant message that they loved the bird and then the bird stopped talking to them and the person already had a mrs

not you ?

Milan.
    You're thinking of Moose

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

not you ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X