• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Which sander

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which sander"

Collapse

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Sander Down.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Just did. It looks more like a smooth artex then plaster. Is it any good?
    What problems did you have?
    No problems. It rolls on. That's it.

Or use lining paper - a bit pricey, but does the job.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Google for it - can't remember the name.
    Just did. It looks more like a smooth artex then plaster. Is it any good?
    What problems did you have?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Tell me more of this roll on plaster of which you speak.
    I am OK with boarding (I use the dot and dab adhesive) but can't skim for toffee.
    Google for it - can't remember the name.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    2 coats of polycell basecoat will sort your walls out after stripping, spot filling and sanding

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    WHS.

PVA is a gift from God.

If you are putting plasterboard over the wall anyway, then seal current surface with watered-down PVA (1 part PVA:5 Parts water, I think, but instructions on the container). Then, PVA plasterborad on top. I use undiluted pVA for gluing - it's a strong adhesive, as long as it remains dry. Else, get waterproof PVA. Oh, you can get roll-on plaster, too, which I found to be a doddle to use and saved me £100s.
    Tell me more of this roll on plaster of which you speak.
    I am OK with boarding (I use the dot and dab adhesive) but can't skim for toffee.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Bosch PEX 400AE + Makita 440 vacuum is dogs danglies for sanding with no dust

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Old paint isn't a problem, they just put watered down PVA glue over the top of it just before plastering.

I've got a high powered DeWalt belt sander that a previous workman left and if you are trying to flatten out bumps in the wall it is the jobby. The dust collection is a waste of space, tape up the door edges, open you windows and prepare for a hell of a lot of dust that will linger for weeks.
    WHS.

PVA is a gift from God.

If you are putting plasterboard over the wall anyway, then seal current surface with watered-down PVA (1 part PVA:5 Parts water, I think, but instructions on the container). Then, PVA plasterborad on top. I use undiluted PVA for gluing - it's a strong adhesive, as long as it remains dry. Else, get waterproof PVA. Oh, you can get roll-on plaster, too, which I found to be a doddle to use and saved me £100s.
    Last edited by Bob Dalek; 6 October 2008, 08:32.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Ta
    What roots said is true too. PVA is used. My guy used a weird green stuff with small bits in for the plaster to key to.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Have you spoken to the plasterer? He may just need to score the old paintwork to give the plaster something to grip.
    If the paper stuck to the paint the plaster probably will. Get advice from your pro, not a bunch of DIY experts like us.

If you must sand then get an offset orbital jobbie DeWalt do a good one. You want a high powered motor.

Watch out for chemical stripper. Some can't be plastered over for months.
    Ta

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Old paint isn't a problem, they just put watered down PVA glue over the top of it just before plastering.

I've got a high powered DeWalt belt sander that a previous workman left and if you are trying to flatten out bumps in the wall it is the jobby. The dust collection is a waste of space, tape up the door edges, open you windows and prepare for a hell of a lot of dust that will linger for weeks.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    paper is off, 2 layers of old paint is still on... I was going to sand it unless there's a chemical option
    Have you spoken to the plasterer? He may just need to score the old paintwork to give the plaster something to grip.
    If the paper stuck to the paint the plaster probably will. Get advice from your pro, not a bunch of DIY experts like us.

If you must sand then get an offset orbital jobbie DeWalt do a good one. You want a high powered motor.

Watch out for chemical stripper. Some can't be plastered over for months.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    You should not need to sand them down if you are filling and skimming. Your plasterer will do all the prep work they need. You just need to get off all the old wall paper and paint.
    paper is off, 2 layers of old paint is still on... I was going to sand it unless there's a chemical option

Leave a comment:

• LEX200
    replied
    yeap as TLG says you dont need to do anything but strip the walls if chunks of wall come off with the paper the plasterer might need to do a bit of bonding, but thats what your paying him for

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I need to sand down a couple of walls prior to filling/skimming/plastering and eventually painting.

Which sander does the panel recommend for a quick and easy job?
    Needs to have some sort of effective dust collection as well

I AM NOT doing the filling/skimming/plastering myself - I do know my limits
    So no comments on how difficult getting that right can be.
    You should not need to sand them down if you are filling and skimming. Your plasterer will do all the prep work they need. You just need to get off all the old wall paper and paint.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X