• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "There's only one o in losing!"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Even heard one Brit saying they were having a 'side bar' instead of a separate discussion!

When I am out in the colonies (past and present) I hate being called a ‘Brit’.

In response to me saying “I’m going outside, where’s me titfa?”, I had a septic once say to me, “You Brits! You’ve got funny words for every fang”. What is wrong with “I do so admire the many wonderful colloquial expressions that the British Isles contributes to the world. That one is an example of Cockney? By the way, your hat is over there, my Lord”?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    aspirational/aspiring
    Americans
    Briton

Please, please, your weeping with gratitude is too kind.
    Aaargh! My eyes, my eyes

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Where I work there [is] a lot of wannabe americans. Always saying 'reachout' instead of contact, skedule instead of shed - ule (schedule), FYI instead of for your information.

Even heard one Brit saying they were having a 'side bar' instead of a separate discussion!
    aspirational/aspiring
    Americans
    Briton

Please, please, your weeping with gratitude is too kind.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Where I work there a lot of wannabe americans. Always saying 'reachout' instead of contact, skedule instead of shed - ule (schedule), FYI instead of for your information.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Exacerbate & exasperate. Where were these morons schooled?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Exacerbate & exasperate. Where were these morons schooled?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Yes! I would have bought that to your attention earlier.

He's not biting

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    and brought and bought.
    Yes! I would have bought that to your attention earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    and brought and bought.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I hate people who don't know the difference between averse and adverse or affect and effect

I'm not adverse to receiving criticism for improper use. I have found that a minor slip in their usage has no averse affect.

I don't want to appear to be effecting an aura of tolerance though.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Oh, and gits who don't know the difference between advise and advice and can't spell licence or defence
    Yes those are indefencible errors

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Oh, and gits who don't know the difference between advise and advice and can't spell licence or defence

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I hate people who don't know the difference between averse and adverse or affect and effect
    Hate is such a strong word.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Nah, only for persistent offenders. Grammar transient blindness is interesting though. For instance you can write something that appears grammatically acceptable at the time, only to discover 10 or minutes later that that once reasonable looking prose has begun to transform into its final illiterate form. Transient grammar and spelling blindness doesn't appear in works of others though, or in older works of one's own making where even the smallest of grammatical and spelling errors leap out from the page. A Dutchman once told me there was a word for it in Dutch, or perhaps it was German. It wasn't autism.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X