• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The State Must Die

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The State Must Die"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    If any job cannot be justified under a cost/benefit and commonsense analysis it must go !!!

Hear hear - except for my cushy job funded by your taxes - natch !

Naturally I detest freeloaders

But if I were a freeloader - my - how much of a greedy wee piggie Id be !

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Roger

Maybe so.

Good thing though this might be, isn't it a long way short of the sweeping change in "the services on offer from the State" mentioned by the OP? I am still trying to work out what that might be.

There are so many jobs in the public sector that are very costly but offer no real conceivable benefit to the general public, but do benefit the job holder disproportionately, and this has to be wrong.
    The average wage in the public sector is now above the private sector, plus these people can retire much earlier and on fat unearned unsustainable pensions, and this also is so wrong, bearing in mind that the public sector would cease to exist without the taxes from the private sector.
    The public sector is now so bloated that it comprises 2 out of every five jobs in the country. If any job cannot be justified under a cost/benefit and commonsense analysis it must go !!!

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    .......Good thing though this might be, isn't it a long way short of the sweeping change in "the services on offer from the State" mentioned by the OP? I am still trying to work out what that might be.
    Yeh, good luck with that. Let me know when you work it out.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I have reread your post. Apologies for misinterpreting your point Expat.
    Roger

Of course, paying for private and not paying for the NHS is not on, because there is no overall benefit and the NHS will lose funds. The fact is though that due to HMG left-wing doctrine the NHS is actually being denied additional funds when if people want to contribute also privately it would be positive for NHS revenues.
    I have a feeling that the Tories may address this stupidity and reintroduce tax relief for private health at some stage after 2010.
    Maybe so.

Good thing though this might be, isn't it a long way short of the sweeping change in "the services on offer from the State" mentioned by the OP? I am still trying to work out what that might be.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    You did read what I said? Well, no, you didn't really. I did not write of paying for private health care while also still paying for the NHS through taxes (which is what you seem to think I did); I wrote of the idea of paying for private health care and not paying for the NHS, i.e. reducing the part of taxes that funds the NHS.

And I was not making any left-wing argument, I was rather asking whether that would be a significant change to the offering of the State, or just a (possibly quite fair) way if saving money.

Trouble is, you know the arguments that you are against even before I make them, even if I don't make them.

I have reread your post. Apologies for misinterpreting your point Expat.

Of course, paying for private and not paying for the NHS is not on, because there is no overall benefit and the NHS will lose funds. The fact is though that due to HMG left-wing doctrine the NHS is actually being denied additional funds when if people want to contribute also privately it would be positive for NHS revenues.
    I have a feeling that the Tories may address this stupidity and reintroduce tax relief for private health at some stage after 2010.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    If more people contributed funds to private health care the NHS would actually improve because in effect it would have extra funds to cover fewer patients. That is precisely why I am an advocate of private health funding and why I was totally against the removal of tax relief on contributions by New Lie after 1997. This actually had the effect of removing some of the much needed funding as people then decided to stop contributions. Yet another example of left-wing doctrine failing the taxpayer!!
    Same argument works for Public Schools and yet the government seems determined to marginalise then abolish those. Barmy!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    You are under a popular misconception here, and I am not sure whether it is ignorance or left-wing propaganda.

Even if people use private health care they are still contributing through their taxes!! They are in effect contributing twice.

If more people contributed funds to private health care the NHS would actually improve because in effect it would have extra funds to cover fewer patients. That is precisely why I am an advocate of private health funding and why I was totally against the removal of tax relief on contributions by New Lie after 1997. This actually had the effect of removing some of the much needed funding as people then decided to stop contributions. Yet another example of left-wing doctrine failing the taxpayer!!
    You did read what I said? Well, no, you didn't really. I did not write of paying for private health care while also still paying for the NHS through taxes (which is what you seem to think I did); I wrote of the idea of paying for private health care and not paying for the NHS, i.e. reducing the part of taxes that funds the NHS.

And I was not making any left-wing argument, I was rather asking whether that would be a significant change to the offering of the State, or just a (possibly quite fair) way if saving money.

Trouble is, you know the arguments that you are against even before I make them, even if I don't make them.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    why not?.....they're not much use any more......
    I think they would kick up a bit of a stink if the tories came in and said, right 400000 of you are sacked...

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    How would you change it? Are you talking about a real change, or do you just think that you personally could save money if you used private health care and paid nothing to the NHS?

You are under a popular misconception here, and I am not sure whether it is ignorance or left-wing propaganda.

Even if people use private health care they are still contributing through their taxes!! They are in effect contributing twice.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Isnt that a tad rich given that the State has now to rescue the wreckage of the Free Market ?
    Castro must be laughing.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Why do you think that is? Do you think that the people want to change the scope of the services that the State offers?

How would you change it? Are you talking about a real change, or do you just think that you personally could save money if you used private health care and paid nothing to the NHS?

I have met few who really want a significant change: mostly people who talk of breaking down the statist system, at the end of the day just want to pay less tax. Actually so do I, but I don't delude myself that it's any more than that.
    Yes, it's not simple. I don't have much vested in the British state myself. I am also experienced enough to have realised that there are a lot of complete idiots and wastes of space in the private sector as well, it's not sole provinence of the state.
    What would I do? Abolish the NHS. Sack every pen-pusher. Make hospitals self-funding entities. Withdraw funding to all non-elected, non-essential advisory boards, quangos. De-centralise power. Re-design the benfits system (probably increase dole but link it to compulsary public works schemes). Cut back on means tested government handouts severely. Standard small-state stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    While I don't agree with everything the Libertarian party stand for, they have an interesting view of the nature of government which seems to fit in with what the Times is saying.

linky

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    don't forget the unions
    why not?.....they're not much use any more......

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Great article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4863675.ece

[I]".................................The policy of simply suppressing spending without large-scale structural reform has not had a happy history. After an initial flurry of privatisations, the Conservative Government controlled public spending by holding down its growth without changing the scope of the services that the State was offering.
    Why do you think that is? Do you think that the people want to change the scope of the services that the State offers?

I have met few who really want a significant change: mostly people who talk of breaking down the statist system, at the end of the day just want to pay less tax. Actually so do I, but I don't delude myself that it's any more than that.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Totally agree - it's a great article. Sadly I doubt we will see any worthwhile reform. They all talk tough until they are in power, then the Civil Servants obfuscate them until they give up.
    don't forget the unions

Leave a comment:

Working...
X