• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: VAT Audit

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "VAT Audit"

Collapse

• HeliCraig
    replied
    I have had one. I had been filing and paying late and the chap said that was exactly why it had be flagged up as higher risk. It apparently also takes 3 years of a blemish free record to "reset" the risk indicator.

I did have some invoices in the Ltd Co for training on a certain aviation related matter, on the grounds that once the Co can trade as a provider of commercial pilot services the hourly rate is greater than mine now. I had been warned that they might not like this argument - so I had a plan to give it them back if they disallowed it.

They allowed it and said it was perfectly acceptable for the company to train an employee to further the companies business - but that they would expect to see invoicing in the future to support this. To which end they will be back in 3 years to re-inspect. I am fine with this as I shall be doing what I said by then.

He did say though that the local takeaway does not count as subsistence; but as the amount was so low it wasn't worth the paperwork in raising an assessment for it.

What a nice chap.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    4.5 years and counting for me

The deprived North = contractor boom town

If you are working local and not fiddling your expenses anymore you should probably be on the flat rate VAT scheme.
    I am on flat rate - have been from the start.

And I was NEVER fiddling my expenses!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Actually for the last nearly 2 years, I've worked in my home region!
    4.5 years and counting for me

The deprived North = contractor boom town

If you are working local and not fiddling your expenses anymore you should probably be on the flat rate VAT scheme.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Actually for the last nearly 2 years, I've worked in my home region! Just train or taxi expenses. Nothing too extreme there.
    Maybe thats it. Up to then you were claiming lots of exes.
    The difference in what you are paying the VAT man now compared to before has probably flagged you up.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I'm having another one - that's 2 in 4 years. My accountant thinks this is odd, but I spoke to the lady at the VAT office and she said it's normal.

Now my husband has just had a letter through too to say his company is having one.

Are these getting more frequent?

Who's had one? More than one?
    Coool - you just said Husband

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    The late payment will put you a long way up the risk register, so will a late return.

You can pay it on line through direct debit, gets you an extra 7 days - but you still need to file the return on time.

I didn't get a proper inspection in 23 years.
    Online is the way to go. You get extra time, less faffing about and you know exactly when the direct debit will be made.

If you don't play fast and loose with them they tend to leave you alone.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Who knows!!

I dont do anything wrong, and SJD tell me how much VAT to pay etc.

I am sometimes late in paying though - maybe that's it. Nothing sinister in it, I'm just a bit unorganised sometimes.
    The late payment will put you a long way up the risk register, so will a late return.

You can pay it on line through direct debit, gets you an extra 7 days - but you still need to file the return on time.

I didn't get a proper inspection in 23 years.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Maybe this VAT lass in the North East is just the most efficient civil servant in the country?! Damn her professionalism!!
    How dare you, that's a public sector official you're talking about. I would rescind all references to efficiency and professionalism...

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    It's those dodgy hotel expenses again, your card is marked
    I dont stay in dodgey hotels!!

Actually for the last nearly 2 years, I've worked in my home region! Just train or taxi expenses. Nothing too extreme there.

Maybe this VAT lass in the North East is just the most efficient civil servant in the country?! Damn her professionalism!!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I am sometimes late in paying though - maybe that's it.
    You could just be unlucky but I am guessing you have answered the question.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Must be something odd on your returns.

Claiming back too much?
    Who knows!!

I dont do anything wrong, and SJD tell me how much VAT to pay etc.

I am sometimes late in paying though - maybe that's it. Nothing sinister in it, I'm just a bit unorganised sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Nope. I'm on my next company instead. Mate of mine had an expenses inquiry though...
    Yeah I had one of those too!

I'm sure I'm being persecuted!!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Must be something odd on your returns.

Claiming back too much?
    It's those dodgy hotel expenses again, your card is marked

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied