• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rates falling like an anvil down a well"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Probably pimps just trying it on. If no-one takes it they'll go for the real rate next week. ...
    Plenty of people will take it though, for the chance to get some IB experience, if they can wing it in the interview with the presumably limited experience they already have.

I'd go for it for three months if I was looking (and knew Java). Might even have tried anyway, and wing the Java - There must be plenty of "interview question" sites one could intensively mug up on for a couple of days before the interview.

Leave a comment:

• Another Dodgy Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You'll always find ads like that regardless of the stage in the economic cycle. It's just parasitic pimps trying it on...

Just had a quick check of our system for current rates (I mainly place BA/PM's - so checked with my colleagues. Recent Java/C# A/P roles have had rates between £400 and £525 per day.

Tester contracts going for between £350 and £450 per day.

Support stuff around £250 to £325 per day

Worth noting that the majority of these roles were for financial institutions so hiring manager's favoured candidates with financial instruments experience.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I've just phoned my young pal (CUK is banned at his current place of work)

This is the role.

I'm so glad I don't do this any more!
    Thats wierd because I know for a fact that Hays IT are billing the NHS trust for web developers at £600 a day. They must be making a huge wack on commission.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    £125-£250/Day
    thats not a huge gap is it?
    who are they kiddin

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I've just phoned my young pal (CUK is banned at his current place of work)

This is the role.

I'm so glad I don't do this any more!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I can't find it, but someone reported spotting an ad for 125 a day which explicitaly stated they would consider someone that needed a work permit.
    You'll always find ads like that regardless of the stage in the economic cycle. It's just parasitic pimps trying it on...

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    I can't find it, but someone reported spotting an ad for 125 a day which explicitaly stated they would consider someone that needed a work permit.
    I've heard they are asking around in the cafeteria if any of the polish workers know there way round a PC

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    ... "£160 a day"

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Is that because they're all sh!tting themselves?

IGMC!!!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    most IB's really need a strong back end in these troubling times...
    Is that because they're all sh!tting themselves?

IGMC!!!

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    I think a better title for this thread is "Agents margins rising like a hot air baloon preying on contractors fears of imminent unemployment.".
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    most IB's really need a strong back end in these troubling times, the last thing they need is a major IT issue in the middle of this trading environment.
    I can assure you my back end is quite stong enough.

That reminds me, I should change my avatar back now.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    I'm still getting plenty of IB/Java calls, in fact I have an interview lined up soon
    most IB's really need a strong back end in these troubling times, the last thing they need is a major IT issue in the middle of this trading environment.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    That and I'm about to jump ship. Been offered a contract working in France, Belgium, Germany and Holland. Boomed squared.
    i wanna jump ship too!!! gissa contract....

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    I think a better title for this thread is "Agents margins rising like a hot air baloon preying on contractors fears of imminent unemployment."

I'm still getting plenty of IB/Java calls, in fact I have an interview lined up soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X