• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The next crisis

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The next crisis"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The case rests:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/philip_...ibudget_ordeal

'In the 1970s, Healey had a whole succession of mini-Budgets as Labour's profligate spending plans came up against the economic realities of declining revenues.

The mini-Budget of December 1976 led to £2.5bn cuts in spending, increases in duties on alcohol and tobacco and the sale of part of the government's stake in BP.
    '

It seems we are revisiting 1976 and the IMF. At least it may well be the last we see of New Lie and its enduring PROFLIGATE spending for at least another 18 years.
    So what? Even if I allow everything that Philip Johnson writes in the Telegraph (and that would be a first), it doesn't alter the truth of what I said: yes there were loads of deficits and minibudgets at that time, but the 1976 IMF loan was not due to budget deficit but to a futile attempt to maintain an inflated exchange rate. Labour is unlikely to try this again, because they got badly burned last time and anyway it is not something that they now have any reason to desire.

By contrast the Tories did try it again (1992) when they should have known better; and they (or their voters) do have an attachment to the idea of a strong pound.

Contrary to all expectations, Labour governments do learn from experience about the economy, and change their ways in response, probably because they have a need for the economy. Conservative governments, by contrast, do not learn from their mistakes in the economy, because the economy and their preconceived notions about it is exactly what they are there for. Thus the Tories can "succeed" simply by telling themselves that they handle the economy better (and some mugs believe it): whereas Labour knows when it isn't working, because they really have plans to implement.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    The case rests:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/philip_...ibudget_ordeal

'In the 1970s, Healey had a whole succession of mini-Budgets as Labour's profligate spending plans came up against the economic realities of declining revenues.

The mini-Budget of December 1976 led to £2.5bn cuts in spending, increases in duties on alcohol and tobacco and the sale of part of the government's stake in BP.
    '

It seems we are revisiting 1976 and the IMF. At least it may well be the last we see of New Lie and its enduring PROFLIGATE spending for at least another 18 years.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    You most certainly are !! There are definitely parallels. Healey had a budget deficit with a 7% shortfall after huge overspending and had to go to the IMF for an emergency loan in 1976. Brown/Darling will have a budget deficit of 100Billion and rising over the next year, again due to huge overspending.
    The IMF loan in 1976 was needed not because of a budget deficit, but rather an ill-advised attempt to maintain the exchange rate of Sterling unreasonably high: a mistake that I don't think Labour will repeat (though the Tories did in 1992).

BTW
    Public sector net debt, expressed as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) ... peaked at 44.8 per cent of GDP in 1997
    (that's the end of the last Tory government, in case you didn't notice).
    Last edited by expat; 29 September 2008, 15:30.

Leave a comment:

• RandyW
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    A mate who runs a firm that supplies builders was telling me one of the services offered by his 'security' man he employs occasionally was to have the debtor 'bummed' if they don't pay up.
    Can you PM HAB the details? Apparently he's discovered an urgent need for some bricks on credit.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Why would he do that? I must be missing something......

You most certainly are !! There are definitely parallels. Healey had a budget deficit with a 7% shortfall after huge overspending and had to go to the IMF for an emergency loan in 1976. Brown/Darling will have a budget deficit of 100Billion and rising over the next year, again due to huge overspending.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    British Airways offer a AMEX card at 46.5%

that is the highest I have ever heard of
    you know how those BA adverts work don't you...

the 46.5%APR card is actually 17.6%
    However, due to FSA rules since there is a £150 annual fee on the card this has to be included as "interest"

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    The next crisis is 'prudent' Gordon Brown going to the IMF fo a mega-billion loan.
    Why would he do that? I must be missing something......

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    British Airways offer a AMEX card at 46.5%

that is the highest I have ever heard of

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    The next crisis is 'prudent' Gordon Brown going to the IMF fo a mega-billion loan.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    There was an advert on facebook recently for a card with 39.9% apr
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    You know how those facebook ads work don't you?

They use your facebook login info to credit check you, then find the best deal going which you can apply for.. these are the adverts you see

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied

Jeez you'd need to be desperate to go for that. Wonder if they use their profits to buy baseball bats
    My first car was on 25%!!! Well, I was 17 and no credit history... bastards!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Things have moved on from baseball bats !

A mate who runs a firm that supplies builders was telling me one of the services offered by his 'security' man he employs occasionally was to have the debtor 'bummed' if they don't pay up.
    An interesting and insane policy, yet likely to win favour with the Plain English Campaign.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    You know how those facebook ads work don't you?

They use your facebook login info to credit check you, then find the best deal going which you can apply for.. these are the adverts you see

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Jeez you'd need to be desperate to go for that. Wonder if they use their profits to buy baseball bats
    Things have moved on from baseball bats !

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X