• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boomed!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed!"

Collapse

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    Result! No mean feat in these times. Congratulations
    Cheers

I had a fairly small mortgage on the house so most of the difference between that and the (higher) rental costs will be met from the interest on the equity if necessary.

I suppose though, really, I should get myself off the bench again once we've moved and put some money back into the company

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    I would have just stayed there for a few years - there was no change in circumstances to provoke the move. Why sell at the bottom of a market? (If we are at the bottom?).
    We're nowhere near bottom yet.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I can not honestly claim it was her against me: it was both of us against my better judgement. Might have made the right choice anyway, my better judgement has been occasionally right but never fun.

I am not certain that decent houses in decent areas will really crash horribly: obviously nobody is buying now, since everybody "knows" what the media tell them, that houses will be 40% cheaper next year; what we have here is a market that's not moving. When it does, we shall see what the prices are like.
    Not quite right to say it's the "media" telling them that.

1. The data show that house prices have declined 10% in the last year.
    2. US prices have fallen 20% in the last 2 years and no sign of bottom, yet.
    3. Prices would need to fall 40% from peak to reach their long run average.
    4. Mortgages are much harder to come by obviously.
    4. Unemployment is on the up and eventually this will lead to more repos.

I think a 40% drop is optimistic as usually pessimism is exagerrated (just like optimism) and so prices will overshoot downward past that mark.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    He seems quite bright to me to cut his losses, no?
    I would have just stayed there for a few years - there was no change in circumstances to provoke the move. Why sell at the bottom of a market? (If we are at the bottom?).

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    There were no financial arguments from the Mrs, it was another kid on the way and I want a stable roof over my head type of stuff so hard to deflect. Renting, getting nagged and looking at Rightmove everyday has its downsides but obviously I'd still sooner have the cash in the bank. The higher end stuff round my way still seems to be holding up in price and some selling, lower end also OK, the big middle bit is stuffed so it's only a matter of time before it all starts tumbling down.
    I can not honestly claim it was her against me: it was both of us against my better judgement. Might have made the right choice anyway, my better judgement has been occasionally right but never fun.

I am not certain that decent houses in decent areas will really crash horribly: obviously nobody is buying now, since everybody "knows" what the media tell them, that houses will be 40% cheaper next year; what we have here is a market that's not moving. When it does, we shall see what the prices are like.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    Having just watched a friend sell his flat for 4k less than he bought it for (long story, not the brightest spark!).... well done. Boomed indeed!

C.

He seems quite bright to me to cut his losses, no?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Are you Jesus?
    Joseph

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I want a stable roof over my head
    Are you Jesus?

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Having just watched a friend sell his flat for 4k less than he bought it for (long story, not the brightest spark!).... well done. Boomed indeed!

C.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post

But "rent is money down the drain". So what is the name for what is happening to the value of our house?
    There were no financial arguments from the Mrs, it was another kid on the way and I want a stable roof over my head type of stuff so hard to deflect. Renting, getting nagged and looking at Rightmove everyday has its downsides but obviously I'd still sooner have the cash in the bank. The higher end stuff round my way still seems to be holding up in price and some selling, lower end also OK, the big middle bit is stuffed so it's only a matter of time before it all starts tumbling down.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Congratulations from someone who's Mrs broke him and made him buy a big house last year

But "rent is money down the drain". So what is the name for what is happening to the value of our house?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Congratulations from someone who's Mrs broke him and made him buy a big house last year

You are truly BOOMED ! Bide your time, I think you are looking at a few years to make a real killing but there is always that distress sale to keep your eye out for.

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Result! No mean feat in these times. Congratulations

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    started a topic Boomed!

Boomed!

We've exchanged... finally, on our house sale.

Had a full price offer back in June (it's really dragged - some nervous times for us) based on a good valuation before the prices started to drop.

Complete next week... Renting here we come

( Just thought I'd share some good news )

Working...
X