• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A bit of economic panic and ..."

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Which is why markets are to be trusted more than governments.
    Yes and the markets are saying globalisation is bad for the West.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I know

But fan of capitalism and globalisation as I am, it can still only work in the long run if everyone in the West reduces their standard of living drastically.
    The economic problems in the US and UK and Europe are due to most people in those countries paying themselves much more than they are worth and living beyond their means.
    The markets are forcing that correction now, I fear.
    Which is why markets are to be trusted more than governments.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Just a technicality , the objective of having a dig at you guys was still achieved
    I know

But fan of capitalism and globalisation as I am, it can still only work in the long run if everyone in the West reduces their standard of living drastically.
    The economic problems in the US and UK and Europe are due to most people in those countries paying themselves much more than they are worth and living beyond their means.
    The markets are forcing that correction now, I fear.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Entrepreneur gets idea.

Entrepreneur puts business plan together

Entrepreneur fails to raise finance, however if he did

Entrepreneur finds customer

Entrepreneur builds factory

Entrepreneur employs English workers to build goods.

Entrepreneur swamped by taxes and red tape

Entrepreneur closes business and goes on the dole

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Note the big flaw in globalisation as shown above.

Just a technicality , the objective of having a dig at you guys was still achieved

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    They are but a small cog in a large wheel.

Here you are Alf, Janet & John guide to how businesses are created

Entrepreneur gets idea.

Entrepreneur raises finance

Entrepreneur builds factory in China

Entrepreneur employs Chinese workers to build goods.

Entrepreneur employs salesmen to sustain and increase business

Entrepreneur makes money and invests in IT

In the Long run Entrepreneur goes bust because unemployed chavs in his home market don't have jobs (because all the jobs are in China) and can't buy his product [/B]

Note the big flaw in globalisation as shown above.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    And here was I thinking that it was the workers who created the wealth.
    They are but a small cog in a large wheel.

Here you are Alf, Janet & John guide to how businesses are created

Entrepreneur gets idea.

Entrepreneur raises finance

Entrepreneur builds factory

Entrepreneur employs workers to build goods.

Entrepreneur employs salesmen to sustain and increase business

Entrepreneur makes money and invests in IT

Entrepreneur goes bust because of expense and uselessness of IT

As you can see the workers are very low down the pecking order when it comes to "creating" wealth. Granted they fulfil a more important role than the IT people, but really workers are ten a penny.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    And it is the capitalist financial systems that create the very wealth that priviliged little knuckleheads like you can pay the tax out of in the first place.

And here was I thinking that it was the workers who created the wealth.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Out of interest is the reserve ratio actually as low as 10% of deposits for a retail bank? I thought is was probably higher than that. I realise that it's comprised of differing instruments of course and it could well be that it is as low as 10% in physical hard cash.

Certainly the ratio of debt to total deposit for our retail banks was generally "only" in the 1.5-2:1 ratio according to panorama last night; but I don't know if that includes potential derivative exposure above and beyond the nominal debt value.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_requirement

United States at 10% - UK is voluntery but in 1998 was 3.1%.

http://www.feasta.org/documents/moneyecology/box1.htm

"the BoE abolished its minimum reserve ratio in 1981. It now agrees a reserve requirement individually with each bank. This reflects both the level of competition the bank is experiencing from its foreign rivals, and the lending and other risks that it is perceived to be running. This change has weakened the BoE's ability to control the money supply by varying the reserve ratio."

Sounds like something that can be easily manipulated.....

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    How many members are actually on this Forum regularly? Now Zeity's gone, I think it's about 10!

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    If everyone with money in LTSB decided to take it out tomorrow, do you think they would be able to honour their obligations?
    No because they only have to keep around 10%.

HTH
    Out of interest is the reserve ratio actually as low as 10% of deposits for a retail bank? I thought is was probably higher than that. I realise that it's comprised of differing instruments of course and it could well be that it is as low as 10% in physical hard cash.

Certainly the ratio of debt to total deposit for our retail banks was generally "only" in the 1.5-2:1 ratio according to panorama last night; but I don't know if that includes potential derivative exposure above and beyond the nominal debt value.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Any bank would fall if everyone came there because they take in short money and lend long.

However some "banks" started using leverage in order to take in little but lend a LOT more - this increased their risk profile, not only they they can fall (as any other bank) from people coming there to take their money out, but they also exposed themselves to huge losses that can come due to leverage. Nobody notices this while they make huge profits due to leverage, however when the market turns they would usually lose a lot more than they made - that usually kills those "banks".

People don't just come to take their money out all of a sudden - if banks is sound they won't, but if it's some dodgy crap like NR then sure as heck they would.
    You get the 10% thing though, right? A couple of posts ago you didn't seem to.
    No bank is sound. It's all a confidence trick.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If everyone with money in LTSB decided to take it out tomorrow, do you think they would be able to honour their obligations? No because they only have to keep around 10%.
    Any bank would fall if everyone came there because they take in short money and lend long.

However some "banks" started using leverage in order to take in little but lend a LOT more - this increased their risk profile, not only they they can fall (as any other bank) from people coming there to take their money out, but they also exposed themselves to huge losses that can come due to leverage. Nobody notices this while they make huge profits due to leverage, however when the market turns they would usually lose a lot more than they made - that usually kills those "banks".

People don't just come to take their money out all of a sudden - if banks is sound they won't, but if it's some dodgy crap like NR then sure as heck they would.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I know you're a bit slow and thick, so read my lips:

That is the definition of a BANK: an insitution that lends more money than it has.
    Has been so since banks first came into existence and will continue to be so.

Atw, you should give it a rest. You are coming across as the mad Rasputin you are and are rapidly becoming the laughing stock on this forum.
    Funny that, but I couldn't see your lips move no matter how many times I re-read that.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Retard, some banks cross the limit and become hedge funds - they lend so much more than they have using such high leverages that they lose their right to be called banks, usually it become obvious when they fail utterly like Lehman Brothers who have got enough derivative liabilities to solve problems of AIDS, hunger in Africa and new alternative energy sources to boot.

People only realise who the real bank is when the big crisis comes around - look around, how many banks are still standing? LTSB is definately a bank - they were conservative (as any bank should be) and it is them who buys gambler H-SOB thingy, I'd prefer they don't but clearly they pay very little and will get support.

Is B&B a bank? No they ain't. They just happened to be called such.
    If everyone with money in LTSB decided to take it out tomorrow, do you think they would be able to honour their obligations?
    No because they only have to keep around 10%.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X