• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Coffee Machine?"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    After all, it's only a cup of coffee.
    To some yes...to others no.

Personally, I can't tell one whisky from another, and yet I am told they are all different and there is a great brewing heritage behind it all.

Coffee is my whisky...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    2 hours testing in a shop - fark me. Life's too short!!
    Some people would spend longer on testing a new car, PC, whatever. There are standards you know !

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    They don't sound that robust.

I wore mine out through extensive use (I drink a huge amount of the stuff) and lack of descaling. Lesson learnt.

Kenco Costa Rican, instant and excellent. I can't be bothered faffing with filtering water, grinding beans and percolating, and then there's the washing-up.
    The machine grinds the beans and does much of the rest - washing up done in dishwasher (including machine parts)

True, but it's a sort of hobby for me - sad perhaps but not as anorakky as train spotting.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I concur. You lot need to get a farking grip of yourselves. 2 hours testing in a shop - fark me. Life's too short!!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I have to admit that sounds a lot less hassle than I thought. But as long as it tastes good, I don't care whether it's instant or fresh (and I've had some excellent, and dire, of both).
    Once you have your own machine and get it right with favourite beans, the right dose etc. you will never drink instant again. You will probably stop drinking coffee at other peoples houses too.

We got used to having a machine after living on the mainland for years. Everybody has them so the machines are cheaper and beans are easy to get and cheap.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    My water filter is built in to my tap. Hot cold and filtered. You can get machines that you put beans in one end, water in the other and press the button. It grinds, doses and pours. Only cups to wash and a little service every so often. Beans delivered from web.
    I have to admit that sounds a lot less hassle than I thought. But as long as it tastes good, I don't care whether it's instant or fresh (and I've had some excellent, and dire, of both).

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Kenco Costa Rican, instant and excellent. I can't be bothered faffing with filtering water, grinding beans and percolating, and then there's the washing-up.

My water filter is built in to my tap. Hot cold and filtered. You can get machines that you put beans in one end, water in the other and press the button. It grinds, doses and pours. Only cups to wash and a little service every so often. Beans delivered from web.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Gaggia Syncrony - after I wore out my baby Gaggia - had this one two and a bit years and it's great.
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    My 2nd Gaggia Baby Dose (2nd in 3 months) has just gone in for repair

The first one deposited all its contents out of the bottom of the casing.

The 2nd one has started leaking from above the basket (above where the gasket is).

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    My 2nd Gaggia Baby Dose (2nd in 3 months) has just gone in for repair

The first one deposited all its contents out of the bottom of the casing.

The 2nd one has started leaking from above the basket (above where the gasket is).

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Gaggia Syncrony - after I wore out my baby Gaggia - had this one two and a bit years and it's great.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Any good Italian professional make will do. New small one is about £1k (Large about £3k), I got mine for £300 from a closed down coffee shop. Don’t skimp on the bean quality and keep both the frothier jug and milk as cold as possible before use. It took me about 60 coffees to practice to get it right. Now it’s fine first time every time but the problem is when you go out for a coffee and see it being f&^ed up by some nerd at Starbucks or Nero; you feel like telling them their job.

PS: what makes a good coffee is good water quality (filtered) and the high water pressure forced through the beans.
    Bean quality, freshness, and correct grind are all vital. ISTM that Gaggias like Illy. (Bean quality no better than the best Lavazza IMHO, but grind better. Cost higher).

Works better if the group is warm (the "group" is what you call the filter + holder), which usually happens nicely if you have it loosely in position while the machime is warming up (which BTW may take longer than it takes for the grren light to go on - 5 mins at least).

Tamp down firmly, and carefully wipe any grounds off filter rim EVERY TIME, or else you are coarse-sanding the seal.

Oh yes, and live somewhere with decent water
    Last edited by expat; 22 September 2008, 06:48.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I have a built in coffee machine in my kitchen similar to what you see in proper coffee shops.
    Grind the beans into the scoop, hook it on and press the button to put pressurised water through (the pressure matters).
    Try here, though other appliance sites are available, this is just from a quick google.
    http://www.247appliances.co.uk/products.asp?c=26

I get my coffee beands from here:
    http://www.discountcoffee.co.uk/?gcl...FRVQtAodylC8Wg

If you are on the South coats then pop across the channel and go and purchase a free standing machine in a super market.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Buy a Bialetti and it will give you a lifetime of espresso coffee.
    Not much use if you want to make lattes, cappucinos, etc.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    All of you are wrong. Buy a Bialetti and it will give you a lifetime of coffee.

They come in all sizes and the only spare part you will ever need is a rubber ring for about 20p every couple of years.

The only catch is you do need a hob to boil it on, so it might not be ideal for hotel gigs.

http://www.bialetti.it/uk/catalogue/....asp?id_cat=25

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Nescafe Gold Blend with cream, Mmmmmm!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X