• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Idiots who get themselves into massive debt"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You guys make me laugh.
    That figure (43%) is quite good actually. It doesn't really mean a thing. Notice Japan has the 2nd highest and Germany's is in the 60s.
    But what really matters in the long run is the trade deficit and that is bad.
    So should we borrow more to invest in manufacturing?

I assume you are more worried about the visible trade deficit than the invisible.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole View Post
    Christ. Was our debt as bad as this in Labour's last attempt at governing back in the seventies?
    Oh FFS read the figures: ours is comparatively good.

Also, it is normally worse under the Tories.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You guys make me laugh.
    That figure (43%) is quite good actually. It doesn't really mean a thing. Notice Japan has the 2nd highest and Germany's is in the 60s.
    But what really matters in the long run is the trade deficit and that is bad.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole View Post
    Christ. Was our debt as bad as this in Labour's last attempt at governing back in the seventies?
    This one gotto be worse...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    But I don't understand this. Surely we have had ten years of the 'best ever chancellor'. How could the nations finances be in such a state with theat slack jawed snot gobblin Cyclops at the helm?

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Ah, all was OK as long as Brown was chancellor.

Not what you meant?
    Yes. Can't we have Brown as Chancellor and Blair as leader again? Everything was booming then.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    2007 est.
    Ah, all was OK as long as Brown was chancellor.

Not what you meant?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Really? I always check figures:

List of countries by public debt - some examples

% of GDP
    Egypt 105.8
    Canada 68.5
    France 64.0
    Germany 63.1
    US 60.8
    Pakistan 52.8
    Switzerland 45.3
    UK 43.0
    2007 est.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Started well there my nut munching comrade. We'll snip the rest.

A quick check of the economist back pages will show UK debt / % GDP on par with: Egypt. Pakistan.UK has more debt than USA did (as%). Biggest in Western World. Real chance of default especially if one were to "on-book" PFIs. In fact I recommend to my pal D.C. that they simply stop the PFI payments.
    Really? I always check figures:

List of countries by public debt - some examples

% of GDP
    Egypt 105.8
    Canada 68.5
    France 64.0
    Germany 63.1
    US 60.8
    Pakistan 52.8
    Switzerland 45.3
    UK 43.0

Arguably we don't have enough!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Her Majesty should (as the Head of State and the Armed Forces) order immediate arrest for treason of all Labour MPs and send them to Australia, or something like this.
    The Tower of London to await execution.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    We get theirs on working holiday visas. Check almost any IT Dept.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    A lot of debt was put off the books using PFI.
    Started well there my nut munching comrade. We'll snip the rest.

A quick check of the economist back pages will show UK debt / % GDP on par with: Egypt. Pakistan.
    UK has more debt than USA did (as%). Biggest in Western World. Real chance of default especially if one were to "on-book" PFIs. In fact I recommend to my pal D.C. that they simply stop the PFI payments.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Australia doesn't want our crooks any more.
    Make a deal with any country that wishes to enrage in this mutually beneficial agreement: for every Labour MP crook accepted by said country for lifetime imprisonment (compliance with human rights is optional) will get X UK passports issued randomly or to whoever is nominated by their officials. I am pretty sure there will be enough takers to deal with 2000-3000 large UK criminals - in fact, maybe any crime that warrants more than 5 years in jail would automatically mean such person will have to serve them in another country (Afganistan for example). If they don't like it then don't commit crimes.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Australia doesn't want our crooks any more.
    We get theirs on working holiday visas. Check almost any IT Dept.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X