• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract preferences and priorities"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    You've obviously never worked in Hull.
    Have you heard the one where the plod, acting on a fleeting sighting of miscreants in action, were quizzing animal trainers 'cause they thought a cat burglar was using a trained chimp? Turned out the "trained chimp" was actually a lass from Hull.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It's surreal working in an office surrounded by dogs curled up on practically every available chair!
    You've obviously never worked in Hull.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    9. A pet friendly environment
    You'd love the RSPCA HQ in Horsham. I had a short contract there a few years ago, to fix a database corruption and obscure bug in their app, and most of the permies would bring their dogs into the office. It's surreal working in an office surrounded by dogs curled up on practically every available chair!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    DimPrawn: Yes. Don't know about "Says a lot" though, it only says I get more money, that is what the business is, is it not?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    So you are saying if the client was a nobody located in the back end of nowhere, had a tulipe working environment using dead end technology with no prospect of ongoing work and zero crumpet you'd choose this over a top client name using interesting CV enhancing technology with a great working environment and team chock full of totty on your doorstep, just for a few quid more per hour?

Says a lot threaded.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    1. Rate, is all that matters.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    9. A pet friendly environment

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    You left out
    8. Number of fit men with hairy ginger chests.

That, with number 6, lands it for me every time.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    rate is #1

Location (but if it is far from home - rate would have to compensate)

length of contract sub 3 months tend to forget it

fit birds is a good added bonus

one other this is the OT / Call out / Travel potential.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Usualy it's not a choice thing is it? 1 offer on the table take it or leave it.
    In .NET land it is mate.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Rate is still king, although number of fit birds is increasing in importance as I enter that funny age.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Usualy it's not a choice thing is it? 1 offer on the table take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Whatever it is, wherever it is, I'll do it forra fiver.

These days location tends to win out for me over rate. Anything else is an added bonus.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Contract preferences and priorities

Contract preferences and priorities

A quick poll to see what's important when choosing your next contract from the vast list of offers we all receive.

Please rate the following in order of importance when weighing up a contract.

1. Rate
    2. Location and/or distance from home
    3. Technology
    4. Size/reputation of client
    5. Chances of many extensions there
    6. Number of fit birds at the place
    7. Workplace/atmosphere/work ethic

for me it's 1,3,6,2,7,4,5

Working...
X