• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed! - Just bought a load of HBOS ..."

Collapse

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    At least with the jobs data it is released before the start of trading and there is an indicator the day before. With fed day it gets released roughly around 13:15, so all morning the market bounces around going nowhere and then goes wacky at the time of announcement. I gave up trading fed day years ago.
    News releases are just a way for brokers to stop out as many positions as possible. Thats why they always spike prices both way.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    At least with the jobs data it is released before the start of trading and there is an indicator the day before. With fed day it gets released roughly around 13:15, so all morning the market bounces around going nowhere and then goes wacky at the time of announcement. I gave up trading fed day years ago.
    Any black swan event has more significance than fed day. Most of Halifax are small investors and they fact that they would panic was completely predictable. But yes I was lucky ...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Nearly forgot, yes your right HAB, it was Fed day which is almost as bad as non farm payroll day in terms of volatility.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Now in +ve territory, + 50 points on my buy price, but back to phone only.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I agree.
    When IG start quoting over the phone only like they did with HBOS, they usually increase the minimum stoploss for guaranteed positions to humungus amounts or even remove the guaranteed stop facility altogether. This is to cover their risky position in volatile markets.
    If you dont take a guaranteed position, in markets like this, you risk having your stoploss slipped, often by hundreds of points.

Nearly forgot, yes your right HAB, it was Fed day which is almost as bad as non farm payroll day in terms of volatility.
    They've just gone back to internet trading.

March price is almost back to +ve territory on the day.

Leave a comment:

• ookook
    replied
    Once we've tested 5050 on the FTSE we could see 4930 today.

Anyone want to start a trader's thread?
    great idea, I'd join a traders thread - it might stop me making so many amateurish mistakes

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Wise words, oh seasonal one.

Didn't want to say yesterday, but I thought the idea of a retail customer opening a new position on a fed day in a market like this was idiotic and
    I agree.
    When IG start quoting over the phone only like they did with HBOS, they usually increase the minimum stoploss for guaranteed positions to humungus amounts or even remove the guaranteed stop facility altogether. This is to cover their risky position in volatile markets.
    If you dont take a guaranteed position, in markets like this, you risk having your stoploss slipped, often by hundreds of points.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Santa Clauses traders thread. Kind of like the multi coloured swap shop for the new millennia ..
    ha ha . I like it

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied

Santa Clauses traders thread. Kind of like the multi coloured swap shop for the new millennia ..

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    You got lucky this time SG, but rule 1 of trading: never chase the market.
    Always buy/sell at turns in the market off major support/resistance.

Price does not always follow the fundamentals.
    Wise words, oh seasonal one.

Didn't want to say yesterday, but I thought the idea of a retail customer opening a new position on a fed day in a market like this was idiotic and

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied

Last edited by SantaClaus; 17 September 2008, 08:14. Reason: added a question

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    through the floor now - lucky is not the word

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    You got lucky this time SG, but rule 1 of trading: never chase the market.
    Always buy/sell at turns in the market off major support/resistance.

Price does not always follow the fundamentals.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Now they are at £1.25

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    HBOS now around 195. Drinks are on SG!
    Now at about 128 ...

Leave a comment:

Working...