• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: House Raffle

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House Raffle"

Collapse

• jil777
    replied
    Since the Devon 'illegal lottery' was featured on BBC Breakfast on August 26th the number of these highly suspect lotteries are increasing at an incredible rate.

My count is now in double digits.

Competitions, which are based on skill, knowledge or judgment, are not regulated.

All games of chance are regulated by the Gambling Commission.

The Gambling Commission is also supposed to police the boundary between the two. Unfortunately, as the Devon lottery has so far been able to get away with it, their track record in this area (so far) is not very good.

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    If you were to win a house in a raffle, would there be tax to pay on it ?

Rhubarb

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    "they" say the deeds etc are held by their solicitors......

I thought you would need to register with the "Lottery Commission" or somebody - aren't bookies & casios registered?
    Bookies yes, but you can own a calculator or watch largely unfettered

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    or stick the money in an offshore account and head for panama? tell everyone that someone ficticious won it?

or is the money in a holding account held by an independeny third party? a firm of accountants?

"they" say the deeds etc are held by their solicitors......

I thought you would need to register with the "Lottery Commission" or somebody - aren't bookies & casios registered?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    yes their question is - what is the capital of Wales - Cardiff/Glasgow/London!
    hmmmm - a tough one eh? can I take 50/50 please?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    they simply give the cash raised as the prize.. it'll be a clause of the raffle that unless all tickets are sold, the house stays with current owners
    or stick the money in an offshore account and head for panama? tell everyone that someone ficticious won it?

or is the money in a holding account held by an independeny third party? a firm of accountants?

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    yes their question is - what is the capital of Wales - Cardiff/Glasgow/London!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    In order for it not to fall foul of the lottery laws there has to be an element of skill, such as a question only 20% (ish) of the population could answer. Otherwise they will be prosecuted.

Search the beeb website for such a case.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    If less than 40k tickets sold, then prize will be a cash value of:

Revenue less Charity Donation & Costs

Charity Donation is deemed as being one eigth of sales

ie 20k tickets sold = £200,000
    Less charity [ £25k ] less costs [ £25k ]
    Prize = £150,000

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    they simply give the cash raised as the prize.. it'll be a clause of the raffle that unless all tickets are sold, the house stays with current owners

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I has given a chance to enter a "raffle" over the weekend - £10 a ticket for the chance to win a £300k house.

Draw is made after 40k tickets sold, £50k to charity - organiser pockets the £350k making a nice profit.

Are these schemes supposed to registered with some sort of gvt body ?

any ideas how they work - I was thinking of doing the same with the house I can't sell.
    thing that worries me is the valuation. current market like trying to catch a falling knife.

what happens if less than 40k tickets sold?

If they get 40k tickets sold they will do very well.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    started a topic House Raffle

House Raffle

I has given a chance to enter a "raffle" over the weekend - £10 a ticket for the chance to win a £300k house.

Draw is made after 40k tickets sold, £50k to charity - organiser pockets the £350k making a nice profit.

Are these schemes supposed to registered with some sort of gvt body ?

any ideas how they work - I was thinking of doing the same with the house I can't sell.

Working...
X