• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do code monkeys still exist?"

Collapse

• SandyDown
    replied
    Yep, in my new contract assignment am surrounded by code monkeys, scientific Phd world known scientists / code monkeys (very senior grades employees).... my contract said I am doing systems/technical analysis and design, but after arriving here was told I would be expected to do some coding eventually... lets hope this eventually does not arrive too soon

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    http://www.newtechusa.com/ppi/main.asp

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Is there still a role for code monkeys in the contracting industry? I mean traditional techies: people whose only skill is in programming with no understanding of business, group dynamics and politics, personal hygiene or ability to communicate with anyone let alone the opposite sex.
    Or has Bob Shawadiwadi and his ilk taken all these jobs?
    they still exist:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ncentrate.html

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Is there still a role for code monkeys in the contracting industry? I mean traditional techies: people whose only skill is in programming with no understanding of business, group dynamics and politics, personal hygiene or ability to communicate with anyone let alone the opposite sex.
    Yes they are now only found in the front orifice of investment banks coding
    vba / c++ pricing libraries, personal hygiene has improved and there is regular
    hard core comms/action with the opposite sex

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    You debugging DPs source code again?
    That stupid code monkey! I wondered why it wouldn't compile.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    What was it loading anyway? Or should it have been loud maybe?
    You debugging DPs source code again?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Error: Function LaughOutLoad() is undefined.
    What was it loading anyway? Or should it have been loud maybe?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Coding is only a minor part of any systems lifecycle. Pure coding contracts are pretty rare I would have thought.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Code:
    while (IsSadPermie(sasguru))
    {
    myWad++;
    LaughOutLoad();
    }
    Error: Function LaughOutLoad() is undefined.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    I still do "some" coding in my job but it is now mostly systems design and analysis. I would say that the ratio is 90% analysis/design and 10% coding.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    ... no understanding of business, group dynamics and politics, personal hygiene or ability to communicate with anyone let alone the opposite sex.

You make it sound like a good thing!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Code:
    while (IsSadPermie(sasguru))
    {
    myWad++;
    LaughOutLoad();
    }

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Are these the ones you mean?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    It's just coming up for 10 years since I really did any coding.

I mean, I do sql and unix scripts, but these are just tools, not the job; just as, I do arithmetic and I read and write, but those are skills, not my job. At one time, coding was what I did. It is probably what I have been most proud of at work, and the mental discipline that comes from coding well is a benefit. But I don't see ever doing it for a living again.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    started a topic Do code monkeys still exist?

Do code monkeys still exist?

Working...
X