• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Beauty is only skin deep"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by foritisme View Post
    double take - clothing, hairstyles (colours), size, weight, looks

in fact anything that is not the 'norm' to the observer
    One christmas during my uni days I was taking a train back home.
    I must have been looking good cause plenty of girls seemed to be checking me out as I walked to the train station, bought a ticket, waited for the train, got on the train, changed trains at Preston and eventually got home....

It was only when I got home that I realised that I had a big black smudge on my cheek

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I always look a woman straight in the chest so it wouldnt bother me.

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    double take - clothing, hairstyles (colours), size, weight, looks

in fact anything that is not the 'norm' to the observer

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I think it's the gormless expression you habitually employ that they object to.
    Yes, I call that my Sasguru routine.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I always look a woman straight in the chest so it wouldnt bother me.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7607905.stm

Should we have to apologise for doing a double take. Is that not how the brain is wired up. The double take is sub conscious as the brain has not been able to make sense from the first image.

Next they'll be trying to make it discriminatory to knock back a minger. (You'll be able to get a bit soon Sas).
    I think it's the gormless expression you habitually employ that they object to.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Should we have to apologise for doing a double take. Is that not how the brain is wired up. The double take is sub conscious as the brain has not been able to make sense from the first image.
    I'd have to agree with you there.. and how many people with a facial disfigurement do you see on a daily, weekly or monthly basis?
    For people who live with it or a related/friends with people with a facial disfigurement then the reaction to double take will obviously be little or nil.
    But the rest of us have to cope with the inbuilt instinct to make sense of what the eyes have just seen and which the brain can not automatically deal with

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    started a topic Beauty is only skin deep

Beauty is only skin deep

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7607905.stm

Next they'll be trying to make it discriminatory to knock back a minger. (You'll be able to get a bit soon Sas).

Working...
X