• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "True cost of living"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Interesting analysis Timberwolf. Economies of scale I suppose.

I think quite a bit of battery chicken food is the unsaleable bits of their former inmates (Soylent Green-style) so that would make it a bit cheaper too.

We once knew somebody who had the job of collecting battery eggs and wiping the poo off them. I think of him whenever I'm finding the contracting lifestyle a little unfulfilling.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Supermarkets use chickens like this as loss leaders.

Also don't forget about hens that are used to lay eggs - after a year they are discarded as they don't lay as many eggs, would not say the chicken for £1.50 was one of those hens (usually they either use chickens for meat or chickens for eggs), but who knows?

IMO, all means in this country are too expensive - especially fish.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    You missed out transport, abbatoir, packaging, vets, rent, labour etc....

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Good that the price of chicken has gone up. Chicken was ridiclously cheap. I think you could get a whole barbecued chicken at the supermarket for about £1.50. How on earth can you raise a chicken from egg to grill and still make a profit out of £1.50?
    Rough guess:

Say the final chicken weighs 1 kg, and over 50 days of its miserable life weighs 0.5 kg, on average.

Food required for lots of animals = 1 kWh per 22 kg per day**, so a 0.5 kg chicken needs 1/44 kWh / day, or 50/44 kWh over 50 days.

At 10pence per kWh (electricity energy prices*) = 33p per chicken. Not including lights, etc. To cook (oven uses say 3 kW, for an hour) = 3 kWh, so add 30p to cook. Total cost = 63p.

*I used electricity prices since I don't know how much chicken feed costs, though it has an energy content of around 3 kWh per kg.

** E.g. work it out for humans: 80 kg * 1 kWh / 22 kg/d = 3.6 kWh /d = 3.6 * 3,600,000 J / 4184 = 3128 Calories / day for a human. Birds tend to have a faster metabolism though, so might burn lots more and so increase the price.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Good that the price of chicken has gone up. Chicken was ridiclously cheap. I think you could get a whole barbecued chicken at the supermarket for about £1.50. How on earth can you raise a chicken from egg to grill and still make a profit out of £1.50?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    It's OK though - El Gordo is 'cautiously optimistic'...

Unlike his chancellor!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Not sure about this. The cost of fillet steak at the local Waitrose has been £30.99 per kilo for the past 3 years...
    At this rate it will be cheaper to go out and shoot your own cows.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Show off
    Two minute noodles are £1 for 4 packets at the local corner store if I'm between contracts

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Not sure about this. The cost of fillet steak at the local Waitrose has been £30.99 per kilo for the past 3 years...
    Show off

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Were they taking Range Rovers in part exchange?
    Doubtful, the part exchange value of Range Rovers has now dropped to less than the value of a bog roll let alone a bike innertube.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I hope so.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    On the plus side I was in a bike shop over the weekend and they were heaving. Shop staff were moaning that it was as if Christmas had come early.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ah The Millionaire DimPrawn (TM) finally posts again. Why should you care, The Millionaire DimPrawn (TM), you're a millionaire after all ?
    I spent a £ on a pot noodle, and now I'm an ex-millionaire.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Ah The Millionaire DimPrawn (TM) finally posts again. Why should you care, The Millionaire DimPrawn (TM), you're a millionaire after all ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X