• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Absolutely disgusting Yank prejudice"

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Manchester banned its own fans from celebrating victory because a bunch of jocks had trashed the place.
    Just as many of them were English.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    update:

The Metro Hotel said it "sincerely apologises for any upset caused towards Cpl Stringer and his family following the incident at the hotel.

A spokesman said: "The hotel management has always had an open door policy to all its visitors and guests, including members of the military and armed forces, and will continue to do so."

He added: "On this particular occasion there was a mistake made by a duty receptionist and the hotel management sincerely apologises for that mistake."

Police were called to the hotel on Thursday lunchtime after the hotel claimed it had been threatened by "abusive" phone calls.

A spokesman for Surrey police said: "Officers were called to the scene because of claims of abusive, offensive and threatening phone calls towards the Metro Hotel.
    Quite like the way they separate the military from the armed forces...

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Likely - if you're trolling, then well done.

If you're seriously holding these views...

...Then you're an absolute moron.

As has been said, politicians and diplomats determine war by their failure to do their job properly - or by being forced into it by an invading nation.

Soldiers are there to serve their country. There's a lot more to their job than blowing people up - they serve many vital roles in peacetime too. And if they are ordered to engage the enemy, they're not there to debate why, they just get on with the job. As far as their 'choice' to be 'murderers' when they join. Rubbish. Most recruits are between 16 & 18 yrs old, want to see the world, get loads of vocational training, and have the honour of defending the interests of Queen and country.

IMHO, they are to be shown respect at all times. We have many reasons to be thankful for their sacrifices. More than you'd think, you utter prat.
    WHS (and Churchill) blame the politicians not the poor sods they send to do their dirty work

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    • A group of Arabs become terrorists, do we ban and discriminate all Arabs?
    • A Group of schoolgirls shoplift, Do we ban all Schoolgirls from Shopping?
    • Hundreds of drivers fill up at petrol station and dive off without paying, do we ban all drivers from petrol stations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    A group of workmen get drunk and rowdy in a pub, assault the bar staff. does the pub ban all working men?

He is discriminating against a select group. he has categorized them and all associated with that profession. that is wrong, and unreasonable.
    As I pointed out, he had trouble with other forces personnel and so have other pubs in town. The OC at the local camp had shown no interest in stopping this loutish behaviour or finding and charging the twats who committed this particular offence. The landlord himself was ex forces.
    There are any number of towns which experience all kinds of trouble from our armed forces.
    Though I have the utmost respect for those who serve I would support anybody banning them under the circumstances stated.

There are any number of places that discriminate for lesser reasons. I can show you pubs that dont allow football supporters in for instance, in fact Manchester banned its own fans from celebrating victory because a bunch of jocks had trashed the place.

Our armed forces need to show respect too.

This particular case is rather sad, but it is also being blown out of proportion. Injured in the line of duty? He fell off his truck and broke his wrist!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    "Only one schoolchild in the shop at a time". See it all over the place.
    Not the same as banning them all

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    [*]A Group of schoolgirls shoplift, Do we ban all Schoolgirls from Shopping?
    "Only one schoolchild in the shop at a time". See it all over the place.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I know a pub landlord who was hospitalised by a bunch of paras who he asked to calm down. He had also had problems with other forces personnel (as have most in the area). Do you think his no armed forces policy is unreasonable?
    • A group of Arabs become terrorists, do we ban and discriminate all Arabs?
    • A Group of schoolgirls shoplift, Do we ban all Schoolgirls from Shopping?
    • Hundreds of drivers fill up at petrol station and dive off without paying, do we ban all drivers from petrol stations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    A group of workmen get drunk and rowdy in a pub, assault the bar staff. does the pub ban all working men?

He is discriminating against a select group. he has categorized them and all associated with that profession. that is wrong, and unreasonable.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    We are talking about men who put their lives on the line in defence of freedom from terrorism etc.

Are you saying that Gays, Ethnic minorities etc should have rights and our troops don't deserve them.

Management policy be f###ed. Take the managers over to Afghanistan and dump them in the mountains in a Taliban controlled area. then see how willing to welcome the troops they are.
    holes should be charged with Treason and hung like the scum they are.
    I know a pub landlord who was hospitalised by a bunch of paras who he asked to calm down. He had also had problems with other forces personnel (as have most in the area). Do you think his no armed forces policy is unreasonable?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    True but when you go to kill people for somebody else's interest and you are being paid for that... this is called murderer.

Grow up Churchy.

Isnt that what Churchill did in WW2?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    1. I doubt that American Amusements are actually an American company.
    2. Surely any company is at liberty to refuse to supply anyone (outside the realms of racial or sexual discrimination, etc)? Can I march into some posh restaurant, or gentleman's club and demand that they provide their services to me? If, for example, the BNP came to my company, I would surely be entitled to refuse to provide services to them?
    We are talking about men who put their lives on the line in defence of freedom from terrorism etc.

Are you saying that Gays, Ethnic minorities etc should have rights and our troops don't deserve them.

Management policy be f###ed. Take the managers over to Afghanistan and dump them in the mountains in a Taliban controlled area. then see how willing to welcome the troops they are.
    holes should be charged with Treason and hung like the scum they are.

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7596798.stm

Don't you just love the yanks. I hope their economy crash turns them into a third world county.

Signed: absolutely disgusted
    1. I doubt that American Amusements are actually an American company.
    2. Surely any company is at liberty to refuse to supply anyone (outside the realms of racial or sexual discrimination, etc)? Can I march into some posh restaurant, or gentleman's club and demand that they provide their services to me? If, for example, the BNP came to my company, I would surely be entitled to refuse to provide services to them?

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    I don't need a history lesson thanks. You have not quite got your facts right on who armed them either (but dont let that stop you). The fact is that they were running a brutal regime and were supporting terrorist activities in other countries. They were given the chance to hand over those terrorists and refused to do so. Just where would you have gone from that point? In my opinion the military solution was the right one (and still is). If they get away with this then expect more and more terrorist atrocities.

Sometimes war is the only answer.
    Taliban and OSama bin Laden himself were set up by the US in the 70ies to support their interest. It is documented in the BBC documentary that is available on Youtube in 15 parts. I have watched it 3 hours. Now that the Taliban stopped playing ball the US turned Osama from an ally into an outlaw ..

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    C'mon - you can't all really be falling for this?
    Just getting my tuppence in. Half my family and a fair few friends are, or have been in the forces - so I wasn't going to let that one go unchecked.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Yeah, you've been exposed Milan, piss off.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    I take it you justify all Nazi Germany's military personnel then ... woo
    C'mon - you can't all really be falling for this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X