• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question for the experts: These Flat Screen TV's"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No, the TV signal is still encoded as NTSC/PAL/SECAM regardless of it being demodulated due to the fact that the USA TV expects a signal based around a 60hz timebase and a UK tv based around 50hz.
    Technically PAL and NTSC (Never The Same Colour) refer to the colour encoding schemes and not the frame rate or resolution, though they tend to commonly be used to refer to the resolution and frame rate standards.

The answer is to look at the specification. I don't know how true this is of modern flat screens, but I understood that in the past hardly any NTSC equipment supported PAL, whereas NTSC support is commonplace on PAL/European TVs and DVD players. But it may be that economies of scale means the Japanese now make the exactly the same TVs for everybody (Japan uses NTSC BTW).

Also both now use the same resolutions for HD, whereas they didn't for SD. Which means a 1080p NTSC TV is no different from a 1080p PAL TV, it's just a case of whether the electronics can decode the PAL signal.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    shirley the NTSC/PAL thing won't be an issue if you're connecting to a Sky or Freeview box as you're bypassing the built-in tuner?
    No, the TV signal is still encoded as NTSC/PAL/SECAM regardless of it being demodulated due to the fact that the USA TV expects a signal based around a 60hz timebase and a UK tv based around 50hz.

I know this as my mate found out the hardway.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    shirley the NTSC/PAL thing won't be an issue if you're connecting to a Sky or Freeview box as you're bypassing the built-in tuner?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Won't it be 110volt ?
    No. All modern TVs will work on all available mains voltages and freqs.

Just imagine the production costs of fitting custom PSU circuitry for every market. All the mfrs need to supply is a cable with the right plug on the end.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Won't it be 110volt ?

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I wouldn't recomment an American TV. The choice of programmes is absolute carp!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    American tellies often implode on the UK mains, thus creating micro blackholes, like the hadron thingy will.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    I take it both ways.
    HAB..is that you?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    I heard they take it both ways.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Depends.

Some will work others won't.

My mate shipped over a very large plasma from the USA a few months back. Guess what. That one didn't work. Seems PAL support was disabled to prevent UK buyers bypassing rip-off prices in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Dunno for sure, but very probably.
    Excellent cuk 'expert' answer. Would have been better if you stated emphatically the wrong answer though. 8/10

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    started a topic Question for the experts: These Flat Screen TV's

Question for the experts: These Flat Screen TV's

Afternoon All,

these flat screen tv's, if I buys one from a supplier in the USA ('cos they're cheaper across the pond) will it work in the UK/Europe, or is there still that NTSC / PAL problem ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Working...
X