• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "slack time in a contract"

Collapse

• ft101
    replied
    Thanks for your insights everyone! I have a few ideas

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by ft101 View Post
    Hello peeps

Just wondering if people have come across this, and how you dealt with it. mid way through a contract and the work dries up due to waiting for other teams to deliver their bit, likely to be a week or so until needed full time again. Its a short term gig and every week counts funds wise.

Do you slow the pace down and make yourself busy, or take the time off?

cheers
    Slow the pace and get paid for nowt. The people who pay you probably think you're busy anyway.
    Gem up on new skills and wait.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The danger there is they realise whilst you are away for a few weeks/months that you don't actually add any value to the project.

Good time to start an online business (plan b).
    That is a risk of course. You could always start looking elsewhere while you are off.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It may not be best financialy, but...
    Write an email explaining that there is a delay beyond your control and you are therefore taking some time away from the project. Point out that you are saving ClientCo some money by doing so.
    This should help if ever IR35 comes calling.
    The danger there is they realise whilst you are away for a few weeks/months that you don't actually add any value to the project.

Good time to start an online business (plan b).

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Hello peeps

Just wondering if people have come across this, and how you dealt with it. mid way through a contract and the work dries up due to waiting for other teams to deliver their bit, likely to be a week or so until needed full time again. Its a short term gig and every week counts funds wise.

cheers
    It may not be best financialy, but...
    Write an email explaining that there is a delay beyond your control and you are therefore taking some time away from the project. Point out that you are saving ClientCo some money by doing so.
    This should help if ever IR35 comes calling.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    what do you think most users on this forum do?
    WHS

particularly tpd

though a warning - it will become addictive! Then you will post here even when you have lts to do......

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    It's August. Does that help?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    what do you think most users on this forum do?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    This is Golden Time.

For starters make sure you start late, finish early, and have a long lunch.

Then read through a technical book that's vaguely connected to some part of the project or other. Looks like you're doing work, which you are, but you can be learning valuable new skills for your next contract

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    mid way through a contract and the work dries up due to waiting for other teams to deliver their bit, likely to be a week or so until needed full time again.
    Sounds very familiar - I'd say you were working where I am now, except I'm the only contractor they've got left so I guess not

I say stick with if it's short term and funds are needed. There must be something to do..analysis, design, documentation etc...there always is for me when this happens and it's happened often over the past 18 months. If the client decides you're not needed then they've made the decision for you to take a break.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Do you not have internet access on your desktop I take it?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    its a good time to catch up on documentation

or take any days off if the weather looks good

Leave a comment:

• ft101
    started a topic slack time in a contract

slack time in a contract

Hello peeps

cheers

Working...
X