• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying for a car privately"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Oh yes, that was the question. I've always done a variation of B. Normally go with vendor to bank and either withdraw cash and give it to them, or do a transfer in their presence.
    I tell the vendor where the draft was drawn and they can telephone the branch and check - or go with them in person to cash it - I've taken 10K in cash for a car but I've always paid with drafts.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    What I do;

Fix price dependent upon successful professional inspection.

Leave small holding deposit; £100 or so.

Arrange inspection and be there when carried out.

Renegotiate price dependent upon results of inspection.

Come back (preferably on same day) with banker's draft.

Drive away.

This allows you to get the car looked over plus stops those "impulse buys" - and I've made a few!

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Going back to my original question, how should I buy a car privately?

A. Pay cash deposit and balance later (BACS or cash) and then collect later

B. Pay the whole lot cash and drive away same day?
    Oh yes, that was the question. I've always done a variation of B. Normally go with vendor to bank and either withdraw cash and give it to them, or do a transfer in their presence.

This gets round the problems of:-

- Turning up with cash, forgeries are an issue
    - Bankers draft, better but there are a load of forgeries

Only hand over as much without receiving the car as you are prepared to risk losing.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Going back to my original question, how should I buy a car privately?

A. Pay cash deposit and balance later (BACS or cash) and then collect later

B. Pay the whole lot cash and drive away same day?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    http://www.ginettacars.com/G50/aboutG50GT4.html

Ooooooooooooooo!

CM, can I have one?

Please?
    Ah crap - is one orange car not enough for you??

Nutter!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    http://www.ginettacars.com/G50/aboutG50GT4.html

Ooooooooooooooo!

CM, can I have one?

Please?

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    What are the anti money laundering requirements for transactions over 10000GBP?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    ..... Your friends mistake was buying a Jag, no inspection is going to make it reliable.

An AA inspector told me some of the worst second hand cars he had seen were at dealerships including cut n shuts
    Why do you think jags are unreliable? On your AA ,man's point; I saw an X type at a supposedly reputable dealers at the weekend that been very badly repaired after a major front end shunt

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Swamp's method is best, as long as your buyer doesn't want the funds cleared first

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    4. Go together to your bank and get them to write the seller a banker's cheque for said amount. Sort out V5 and drive off in their car.

Banker's drafts can only be written for cleared funds and cannot be cancelled, but technically there is nothing stopping you taking out a load of money so it bounces before they pay it in.

Some sellers insist on cleared funds (in their bank) before you can take the car away. I reckon this is fair so long as you get the V5.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The cars I am looking at don't turn up at auctions very often. Auctions are for your common or garden cars.

I'm looking at a VXR 220 Turbo, Clio V6 or a TVR or someother unusual rear drive monster for track days and doing doughnuts in the Tesco car park.

By Clio V6 I assume the mid-engined variety. They only really need 3 wheels, one's always in the air. Never driven one, but been driven in one. Great fun, squared.

I was looking for a Chimera a while back for Mrs ASB. Loads of extra life insurance... Anyway about 90% of them > 3 years old were Cat D. It's going to get bent. If you define handling as what happens when mechanical grip runs out then they are about as useful as a pig on blancmonge. Absolutely evil in the wet.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    vx220 owners club, some very nice well looked after cars there

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=25
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 26 August 2008, 19:31.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    surely if you're gonna risk spending ten large on a second hand car privately, you may as well go the whole hog at down to the auctions at measham or somewhere and pickup a bargain ?

anybody bought executive cars at auction ?

Milan.
    The cars I am looking at don't turn up at auctions very often. Auctions are for your common or garden cars.

I'm looking at a VXR 220 Turbo, Clio V6 or a TVR or someother unusual rear drive monster for track days and doing doughnuts in the Tesco car park.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    surely if you're gonna risk spending ten large on a second hand car privately, you may as well go the whole hog at down to the auctions at measham or somewhere and pickup a bargain ?

anybody bought executive cars at auction ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Car Numpties are probably best going to dealerships. Your friends mistake was buying a Jag, no inspection is going to make it reliable.

An AA inspector told me some of the worst second hand cars he had seen were at dealerships including cut n shuts, I suppose in that case you can comfort yourself that you might get some of your money back

Leave a comment:

Working...
X