• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: health service

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "health service"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    I use BUPA but fortunately that is through Mrs Gonzo's work scheme so doesn't cost me anything

If we need to see a GP though, I just bite the bullet and pay the £50 it costs to go to the BUPA doctor. It is worth the money just so that you don't have to deal with the NHS surgeries.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    MyCo pays around £110/month for me and the Co Secretary who, sadly is a one parent mother! We are such a generous Co we cover her kids too!!

BUPA was the only company that did a corporate scheme for only 2 employees.
    It's a taxable BIK anyway though, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Not having private health insurance in the UK is taking a big risk. IMHO it's very worth it. We use BUPA which costs about £160per month for two 45+ year olds.
    MyCo pays around £110/month for me and the Co Secretary who, sadly is a one parent mother! We are such a generous Co we cover her kids too!!

BUPA was the only company that did a corporate scheme for only 2 employees.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    OK, I've looked at BUPA and I like it. They will take a pre-existing condition off the list after it's been cured for a year. I will probably just pay my own way on that.

That just leaves the GP. With BUPA you still see your own GP and BUPA?private care only kicks in after a referral from him. Are there any other systems? Is it worth looking for a GP that sees patients on Saturdays (private if need be), or is that a mirage?
    Look, GP's only earn between £120K and £250K p.a. on the NHS so don't expect too much.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    OK, I've looked at BUPA and I like it. They will take a pre-existing condition off the list after it's been cured for a year. I will probably just pay my own way on that.

That just leaves the GP. With BUPA you still see your own GP and BUPA?private care only kicks in after a referral from him. Are there any other systems? Is it worth looking for a GP that sees patients on Saturdays (private if need be), or is that a mirage?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

I had an opp. under BUPA & it was very quick (set up within 1 week) & professional
    Me too - had my tonsils out about 2 years ago - the consultant fitted it in after my hols cos thats what suited at the time.

It's dead handy and I wouldn't be without it now.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Where are you living exactly? In the Germany thread you talked about just receiving your NL salary slip, and mortgage deductions etc and now you're talking about months spent waiting in the UK health system ...
    Living in UK, working in Germany, just finished in NL. I could tell you more but I'd have to kill you

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Had enough of the UK's health system. It's taking months to get a consultant appointment, can't get it on days that I want (like Monday or Friday, I'm not even daring to dream of Saturday). Catalogue of other messups, lost docs, unnecessary repeat visits M-F, being expected to guess that I had to request repeat prescription in writing 48h notice, etc etc.

Oh and a final insult: they gave me an appointment on a Friday. Then just before it, they changed it to a Wednesday. I said I couldn't make Wednesdays. So they put it in file as "patient cancelled appointment". No guys, you cancelled it! Grrr!

Questions:
    1. anybody have experience with Bupa or other? Is it worth it?
    1a. is it worth joining PCG for its discount (as usual I can't find out PCG benefits until I join)

2. anybody just tried going private and paying it oneself? Will that get me an appointment on a Saturday? (It's worth paying up to £500 for it if it does).

3. anybody tried going private and paying, in another country? Germany for example?

4. ..... where do I tick to opt out of the taxes for this pile of .....?
    Where are you living exactly? In the Germany thread you talked about just receiving your NL salary slip, and mortgage deductions etc and now you're talking about months spent waiting in the UK health system ...

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I note that this is an existing condition, so I suppose that it would not be covered by insurance?
    Correct (as far as I am aware) no insurance will cover pre-exisiting conditions & they can be right blighters for that - an ear ache 5 years ago that you did not declare is ofc related to the brain tumor you had so they can't possibley cover the costs & your policy is void as you failed to declare.

If you are getting a new policy the best thing you can do is to go to your doctor have them print of a complete history & attach it to your application & make referance to the attachement in the appliction, getting money out of insurance companies is like getting Mr Brown to tell a truth

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    If you are concerned about your health does it really matter what it costs?. What value has peace of mind.

I had an opp. under BUPA & it was very quick (set up within 1 week) & professional
    I agree. Even if I were to consider only the money, just imagine what an illness or incapacity would do to the budget!

What I really meant was, can anyone help me compare 3 options?
    - private insurance
    - private treatment without insurance
    - private in other countries

I note that this is an existing condition, so I suppose that it would not be covered by insurance?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    PS. I blame Thatcher 20 years ago for everything.
    When Thatcher said "the NHS is safe in our hands", the comment from my GP at the time was, "did you ever hear such lies?".

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Not having private health insurance in the UK is taking a big risk. IMHO it's very worth it. We use BUPA which costs about £160per month for two 45+ year olds.
    That is true of any 3rd world country such as Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    If you are concerned about your health does it really matter what it costs?. What value has peace of mind.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    PS. I blame Thatcher 20 years ago for everything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X