• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did money start losing value to you?"

Collapse

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    I only got GCSE maths and I can guarantee you it's not odd at all.

What's more interesting though is when you apply interest to your savings, 6% of £100,000 is more of an eye opener than 6% of £100.

well yes so your interest on what you have eclipses perhaps what you can save regularly

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    I'm more careful with money now I actually have some. When you've got nothing you've got nothing to lose.

Is it just me that works out the difference in cost when buying at amazon between getting it new from a trader via the site and buying direct when the post is free when spending over £15?

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    I've found saving is an odd one as well
    if you have £100 in savings and you save £100 you double your saving
    £1000, £100 = 10%
    £10,000, £100, 1%
    £100,000, £100, 0.1%

so the more you have the less impact your regular saving makes...
    I only got GCSE maths and I can guarantee you it's not odd at all.

What's more interesting though is when you apply interest to your savings, 6% of £100,000 is more of an eye opener than 6% of £100.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    £1000, £100 = 10%
    £10,000, £100, 1%
    £100,000, £100, 0.1%

Sometimes the truth is so blinding that it blinds one. Next qtr, write to the VAT man explaining that your little wodge will have so little impact that he can forget about it.

top tip, don't pick up the soap in the showers

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    £1000, £100 = 10%
    £10,000, £100, 1%
    £100,000, £100, 0.1%

Yes, you have something there. If you have £1,000,000 in savings, do yourself a favour and don't bother adding £100 to it.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    £1000, £100 = 10%
    £10,000, £100, 1%
    £100,000, £100, 0.1%

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was in Hull recently and got the wildies real bad. I sat on the bog in the pub and as I was squirting a gallon of tulipe out of my rear end I realised there was no bog roll.
    Money means so little to me that I used five pound notes to clean me bum.
    The only problem now is keeping the flies off of my wallet

Um, I actually did something like that in Bolivia a while back (not fivers, and forget the wallet bit). Then I worked out that each 1000-peso note would not actually buy a sheet of toilet paper......

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was in Hull recently and got the wildies real bad. I sat on the bog in the pub and as I was squirting a gallon of tulipe out of my rear end I realised there was no bog roll.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I was in Hull recently and got the wildies real bad. I sat on the bog in the pub and as I was squirting a gallon of Sh1te out of my rear end I realised there was no bog roll.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    One of the best things for me is not actually thinking about money for most of the time. When contracting, normal bills, meals out, holidays, petrol, stuff for the house etc are just some things that happen, they don't cause any concern or require any attention.
    Note - I am not talking about going mad, I try to buy stuff I want when I need it e.g. Telly breaks, I will do a bit of research get a good one (not SOTA) that I am happy with and forget about it.
    For my rate, you get to think about a slightly nicer car, holiday, house etc but it's not a total life changer !
    Hit the contract skids about 4 years ago, no work, went perm for half the contract money and I was earning less than I needed to sustain my lifestyle and although I had reserves they soon got burnt through. Worst thing was having to think about all the stuff above again, it was annoying but only cos I realised I had been a bit spoiled.
    I am back on the gravy train now and appreciate it a LOT more, had 4 months on the bench this year but back earning now. I have kept the same car - a golf diesel, although I am now looking to upgrade, using cash reserves, I don't want big loan payments other than a mortgage ! (Porsches + Mercs cost me a bundle last time). Luxury is having the choice of whether to work or not, being able to turn down contracts away, pick and choose etc. Only substantial reserves and money working via investments etc are going to do this for me.
    In short, keep a lid on expenses but defo splash a bit to give you some payback, stash a bit to cover the lean years and try to spend big when it has piled up.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I spend **** all so my mortgages can disappear and I can be a lazy git. I dont mind appearing cash poor as long as I know I am financially ok and having a financially stress free life.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post

money money money
    Yeah what?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I spend extravagantly...on me and my family. We live every day to the max.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Neither I nor my wife spend extravagantly. I don't sweat over small amount - I couldn't care less - but she does. Neither of us bat an eyelid over spending a little, or even a lot more, in order to get value for money.

Our attitudes have changed since I started contracting. I used to spend a lot on unnecessary stuff, and we would generally buy the second cheapest product. I think contracting helped me to understand the value of money, and the power that wealth brings. Rich people stay rich by not spending unnecessarily.
    Buy less, but better.
    Buy best, cry once.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Neither I nor my wife spend extravagantly. I don't sweat over small amount - I couldn't care less - but she does. Neither of us bat an eyelid over spending a little, or even a lot more, in order to get value for money.

Our attitudes have changed since I started contracting. I used to spend a lot on unnecessary stuff, and we would generally buy the second cheapest product. I think contracting helped me to understand the value of money, and the power that wealth brings. Rich people stay rich by not spending unnecessarily.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X