• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mo Mowlam

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mo Mowlam"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    As I understand it, he did not resign because he had a mistress. He resigned because he was caught using his position to speed up the visa application of his ex-lover's nanny.
    No no no -- if he admitted to this then he would not get to Govt -- from what I understand he left only because he admitted using 1st class train ticket that was meant to be used by his wife, but he gave it to mistress. This was supposedly "innocent mistake", where as speeding up visa app is clearly abuse of position. He took minor charge with a view to get back.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I see nothing wrong with people having mistresses -- its between them and their wifes. Why would I care who he shags and when? So long as this does not put national security at risk (black mail), its fine by me.
    Let's get this straight about Blunkett.

As I understand it, he did not resign because he had a mistress. He resigned because he was caught using his position to speed up the visa application of his ex-lover's nanny.

Furthermore, he accepted and kept his £20,000 payoff ex-ministers get to "re-adjust to life when leaving office", despite being reappointed to office a few months later.

Even furthermore, he was allowed to keep the grace and favour mansion that was reserved for the Home Secretary. I assume that new Home Secretary Charles Clarke has to live in a tent, or have New Labour obtained another mansion at our expense?

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Who cares ?

Obviously not you, you sad little sack-of-tulipe.
    If it had been some brain-dead cleric peddling hate you would care I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• DBNOv4.0
    replied
    who cares!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    he didn't have integrity and was not the person his epitaphs would have you believe (not that any of us would be probably).
    I'd say Galloway resigned in a way to maximise political advantage, where as Cook resigned rather quietly without making huge fuss out of it, which indicates lack of desire to capitalise on the situation.

Comprare him to Prescott, Mandelson or even Blair.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Alexei

I don't disagree with you that his private life is his own affair.
    But it does throw his integrity into question (imagine, an NL politician and integrity in the same sentence!) and I re-iterate, he resigned when there was a chance of making polticial capital out of it.
    I disliked him as much as any verminous NL politician, but I didn't say he was stupid, only that he didn't have integrity and was not the person his epitaphs would have you believe (not that any of us would be probably).
    Mo Mowlam in comparison always struck me as honest and straightforwards, with a very public political agenda based on beliefs and principles, not on opportunism.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    if you believe he was trustworthy just ask his wife or any of his mistresses/flings.
    I see nothing wrong with people having mistresses -- its between them and their wifes. Why would I care who he shags and when? So long as this does not put national security at risk (black mail), its fine by me.

Cook had balls to resign when he could have just sit quiet and nobody would pay attention to this because everyone else in Govt were for it.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    AtW

Just to point out that he resigned when it looked llike there might be some political capital in it, if you believe he was trustworthy just ask his wife or any of his mistresses/flings.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    It takes some balls to resign from high position in the cabinet based on his views. I'd like to see Mandelson doing it, or even Blunkett -- heck, these guys seem to be impossible to get rid of even when they resign under weight of evidence!
    I do believe he was rather more reticent in relinquishing the apartment that went with the job.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    But Robin Cook!!
    It takes some balls to resign from high position in the cabinet based on his views. I'd like to see Mandelson doing it, or even Blunkett -- heck, these guys seem to be impossible to get rid of even when they resign under weight of evidence!

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    2 out of 3

That's two of only 3 Labour ministers I have any respect for now gone.

I can buy Mo Mowlam as being worthy of respect.
    But Robin Cook!!
    And who is the 3rd one you respect then, if I might ask?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Personally I hold most politicians in complete contempt. The ones who have made it to the HoC have generally done so by back stabbing all and sundry so they can get their greasy snouts in the trough. Then once there they will do everything they can to keep the gravy train running. Mandleson has to be the best example of this. A greasy slimy sh1t of a bloke who has been caught red handed on more than one occasion who still gets plumb jobs because he is mates with Teflon Tone. w@anker!

There are however a few who seem to do it for the right reasons, like the good of the country and I think mo was probably one of these.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I'd second that !

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I was rather saddened reading that Robin Cook died as he came across as rather decent chap with principles valued above personal career. Same can be said about Mo -- she seemed to have been much more straightforward talking for a politician than many others.

Leave a comment:

• dazza12
    replied
    That's two of only 3 Labour ministers I have any respect for now gone.

Sky News keep cycling through various video clips and photos. On one of them, we see Robin Cook on the left, Mo Mowlam in the middle, and Peter Mandelson on the right.

We can only hope it comes in threes.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X