• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Gospel According To St. Chav"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    That all depends on which end you're on

Now steady on!

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    <I did ancient Greek at school. In both senses of the term >

Did it make your eyes water WS?
    That all depends on which end you're on

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    original greek

en th oikia tou patros mou monai pollai eisin ei de mh eipon an umin oti poreuomai etoimasai topon umin

(romanised for the forum)
    I did ancient Greek at school. In both senses of the term

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    original greek

en th oikia tou patros mou monai pollai eisin ei de mh eipon an umin oti poreuomai etoimasai topon umin

I guess "monai pollai" is the bit that means "many mansions", where "pollai" is the "many" word, and "monai" is the plural of "monas" meaning something like "unit" or "cell" (hence "mono" and "monastery"), and you can see how similar "monai" is to "manere".

OH in "Liddell and Scott" mode
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 August 2005, 13:36.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    original greek

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Aye Threaded

That is a fascinating intepretation of a qoute which I have oft pondered,like much of the teachings of Christ there are various possible levels of interpretation.
    Seems a shame to potentially spoil a mental picture of many stately homes all crammed into one house, like some kind of multi-dimensional tardis, but the word "mansion" once meant simply "dwelling", even a single room, from latin "manere" to remain.

So this saying probably would have had a more prosaic meaning in the 17th C, when the King James translation of the Bible was made..

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    AlfredJ: Is this not a biblical example of the disparity between the infinities of the rational and irrational number sets?
    Aye Threaded

That is a fascinating intepretation of a qoute which I have oft pondered,like much of the teachings of Christ there are various possible levels of interpretation.

At one level Christ could be refering to the various levels of reality within the Universe, as I am by no means a mathematician therefore I cannot comment upon your observation on rational and irrational number sets ; altough looking at the night sky, the Universe does seem Approximately Infinite.

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
    That, for all they care, I can go to hell,

But on earth indifference is the least
    We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
    With a passion for us we could not return?

If equal affection cannot be,
    Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
    Of stars that do not give a damn,

I cannot, now I see them, say
    I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
    I should learn to look at an empty sky

And feel its total dark sublime,
    Though this might take me a little time.

WH Auden
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 August 2005, 10:55.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    AlfredJ: Is this not a biblical example of the disparity between the infinities of the rational and irrational number sets?
    Imaginary Numbers Threaded, just like imaginary Lamborghini!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

JC

Certainly if Jesus was correct in his statement ,God is a bit of a property speculator.
    I bet He can't wait for April 2006 when He'll be able to use His SIPP to invest in property.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

JC

Certainly if Jesus was correct in his statement ,God is a bit of a property speculator.
    FRANCIS:
    Well, blessed is just about everyone with a vested interest in the status quo, as far as I can tell, Reg.
    REG:
    Yeah. Well, what Jesus blatantly fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    > Takes a modest bow <

So, now we've done religion for the day, how about house prices?

JC

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    what was a chav in the 1st century?

PS: respect, Lucifer
    Much the same as today but with homespun Burberry and beards.

Thank you, Becs.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    that is fantastic but why is it funny? Is the original much different? what was a chav in the 1st century?

PS: respect, Lucifer

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    One of the more beautiful things to come out of the reformation was the translation of the bible into the myriad of languages it is available in today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X