• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BT Rant

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BT Rant"

Collapse

• TheVoice
    replied
    My Advice, Pay only what you agree is correct. Let them swing for the rest.

I have endless problems with BT (Bloody T**ts!) & the only way is to withold payment from them I have found.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    I fecking hate BT. We've had nothing but trouble since we got a new line in February. Latest jape is they set the direct debit up wrong and took hundreds out then refused to give it back straight away saying "it'll takes weeks to sort out, you're best off phoning your bank to get a refund under the direct debit guarantee".

So I did that and now I've received a bill with an extra £4.50 on it for not having a direct debit set up! Hmmm, so if I allow you access to my account you pillage it, if I don't you charge me for it. Isn't that like being burgled then given a bill for a swag bag and hammer

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I would ditch the BT landline and replace it with a mobile and dongle for Internet if I could be sure I wouldn't get conned if I don't research throroughly and monitor usage carefully. I'm left with a bad feeling about mobile companies when I look at tariffs. For example 3 "PAYG" is no such thing, it's a monthly subscription, plus PAYG, plus you could end up paying £1 / MB if you exceed an allowance. That coudl rack up a bill in the tens of thousands of pounds. That looks like out and out con man territory to me. At least with BT the confidence tricks played are far less ambitious in nature.
    As a customer of both 3 and BT I would say 3 are streets ahead. In my case, I can access the "my 3" page that tells me exactly how much data allowance I have left. Admittedly I don't download films (although I do download a bit of paid-for music and free BBC podcasts), but I don't see too much of an issue. It ought to be pretty easy to work out if you'll have a problem.

BT on the other hand are utter, utter. utter scum. One of many encounters involved me trying to report a faulty line (again) and having to give all sorts of personal data over and over - when I queried why I was told "it's for security" - yeah right because I bet they have a real problem with people ringing up and maliciously pretending other people's phone lines are knacked (again).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit TW, I'm with 3 and haven't paid any big bills yet, and don't want to!
    I would ditch the BT landline and replace it with a mobile and dongle for Internet if I could be sure I wouldn't get conned if I don't research throroughly and monitor usage carefully. I'm left with a bad feeling about mobile companies when I look at tariffs. For example 3 "PAYG" is no such thing, it's a monthly subscription, plus PAYG, plus you could end up paying £1 / MB if you exceed an allowance. That coudl rack up a bill in the tens of thousands of pounds. That looks like out and out con man territory to me. At least with BT the confidence tricks played are far less ambitious in nature.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Ben !!! Is he a mate of yours ?
    Heh, nah but he used to accept mail a [email protected]

He was so good at highlighting and sorting out problems with BT that he had to go.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    The guy who took over is [email protected]

Ben made a point of dealing proactively with complaints sent to him, but I don't know if the new guy is as bothered.
    Ben !!! Is he a mate of yours ?

He must of kept it quite quiet or had a very very large Inbox. I have never managed to deal with BT without them making a complete dogs dinner of things, they must waste millions going round in circles and actually creating themselves work by being completely incompetent. There must be a point were it is worth spending money to try and get things right first time madmadmadmad

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Agreed, I got a reply from ben when i emailed, admittedly it was a one liner with someone else cc'd saying "sort this out" but unusual from upper management.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Who's the new guy ? I'd try emailing [email protected]

When I was having a run in I came across forum posters who had things resolved by emailing the main man.

The guy who took over is [email protected]

Ben made a point of dealing proactively with complaints sent to him, but I don't know if the new guy is as bothered.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    At least BT don't appear to try to con you as much as the mobile outfits such 3 where you might end up paying £1 / MB download if you're not careful. £640 to download a film! Makes BT seem saint-like in comparison.
    Could you elaborate a bit TW, I'm with 3 and haven't paid any big bills yet, and don't want to!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    They do tell you about the charge when you book a fault. They make it plainly clear.
    They make it plainly clear that if the fault is found with/in your equipment, you will be charged.

They don't say you will be charged if they can't find a fault.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    You wasted the engineer's time by failing to test the line frequently?

No, he wasted yours by failing to test it and notify you that the fault had cleared. Bill them for it.
    They probably did test it. But found no fault. Hence why engineeer was called.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    What I hate is how, having let you down on the service that you pay for, they then lecture you about your failings. And then charge you.

Sanctimonious prats!
    Depends where the fault it - if its on the phone/extensions used its not BTs fault.

They do tell you about the charge when you book a fault. They make it plainly clear.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Make sure they have done all the things they say they will do here.

Was the engineer late at all? You get a (paltry) £10 off IIRC if they were.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    At least BT don't appear to try to con you as much as the mobile outfits such 3 where you might end up paying £1 / MB download if you're not careful. £640 to download a film! Makes BT seem saint-like in comparison.
    That's bad. But nothing makes BT seem saint-like.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    He's gone now, unfortunately.

Who's the new guy ? I'd try emailing [email protected]

When I was having a run in I came across forum posters who had things resolved by emailing the main man.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X