• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: your home is next

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "your home is next"

Collapse

• PRC1964
    replied
    Not that I read the Sun, but they carried this story:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005380134,00.html

The best bit is:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOTTO chiefs awarded £50,000 to promote ‘gipsy culture’ in Hampshire schools — after snubbing Falklands heroes who need a new refuge.

The county council say their scheme is an “opportunity to highlight the many positive aspects of the gipsy community”.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Given that the lottery normally only fund part of these kind of schemes, we can assume that the rest is funded from the council tax.

Glad I don't live in Hampshire.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    This mess is the result of an overly
    zealous welfare state. By over-taxing
    the middle-classes they are having
    smaller families while those on benefit
    are encouraged to continue to have
    large families. The children of which
    tend more to end up in the same
    state dependent position.

Its basic social/economic logic really
    and in the end the country will be full
    of unemployable under-class.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Looking at the breakdown of my council tax, the biggest offender is:

Housing Benefits Granted

swiftly followed by

Council Tax Benefits Granted.

A total of 40% of the council capital budget and the items that have experienced the biggest increase over the last few years. Looking at the increase in the tribes of pikeys and chavs that have been shoehorned in, I can guess why these figures will grow at an exponential rate.

And the council blame the rises on the government not increasing the spending allowance enough.

It's obvious to those, without a giro and a pregnant 'ho' called Chardonay [sic], that this is unsustainable.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Apparently students don't pay council tax... is that right?
    Only if all adults in the house are students -- at least this was the case a few years ago, don't think they relaxed it even though I think I heard this was done in London.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Apparently students don't pay council tax... is that right?

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    I seem to remember it was about £250 per head per annum (or anum) around here.

Don't know what the rates were just prior to that though, since I wasn't paying them at the time.

Perhaps I shall investigate further...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    AtW: The problem was that Maggie was coming to the end of her premiership and the lefties grabbed onto the "community charge" renaming it "poll tax" as a way to oust her.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Particularly since everyone over 18 had to pay it...
    Does not sound unreasonable to me. What were the amounts and what was before poll tax?

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Particularly since everyone over 18 had to pay it...

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Aaaaaaaaah!

The poll tax.

That was a real riot.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    AtW: Especially if them 4 are chavs...
    those? Surely.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    AtW: Especially if them 4 are chavs...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    basing the amount of local-tax people pay on, say, the number of adults in a house, as more people use up more local resources, and we could call it, say, poll-tax.
    I have not experienced poll tax, but it sounded pretty darn logical and fair -- currently single person living in the house in Brum gets only 25% discount from main rate, while amount of garbage, police and firemen work surely is nowhere as near as family of 4 living in the same house.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Lucifer, I like that devils advocate game: why not infact just reduce everyones council tax by abandoning the civils servants pensions linkage.

Just about everyone else in the UK has had to bend over and take it with the Gay Gordons pensions grab, why should not the civil service feel what it is like?

After all, it is only fair.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    why not have a standard rate for a house of x

and add another tax y onto the earnings of all workers

that way pensioners are ok

doley's don't pay council tax anyway so they're not bothered

and everybody is happy

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...