• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who orchestrates the media?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Anything that depreciates in the long run, is by my definition, not an asset
    Good job you don't have any sway with the ACCA.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Do you consider vehicles assets? Does this mean an upgrade from the Aygo is imminent?
    Anything that depreciates in the long run, is by my definition, not an asset

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    want to buy up loads of luvverly cheap assets.
    HTH
    Do you consider vehicles assets? Does this mean an upgrade from the Aygo is imminent?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I can't help but get the impression you are relishing the prospect of a bad recession simply because you are sorted, and you want to laugh at those who didn't have the foresight to be sorted like you.
    want to buy up loads of luvverly cheap assets.
    HTH
    Last edited by sasguru; 22 July 2008, 14:47.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes, think of the children.
    That's what got Gary Glitter in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    And we disagree on the severity of this 'correction' - I think it'll be merely a trimming of luxury goods and amounts of credit, you seem to think it'll be 3 million on the dole etc.

We'll have to wait and see.

I can't help but get the impression you are relishing the prospect of a bad recession simply because you are sorted, and you want to laugh at those who didn't have the foresight to be sorted like you. If this is unfair, I apologise, but that's how it comes across.
    Yes, think of the children.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    I think a purging of excess is in order so the world can return back to normality. But I don't care either way as I am sorted.
    And we disagree on the severity of this 'correction' - I think it'll be merely a trimming of luxury goods and amounts of credit, you seem to think it'll be 3 million on the dole etc.

We'll have to wait and see.

I can't help but get the impression you are relishing the prospect of a bad recession simply because you are sorted, and you want to laugh at those who didn't have the foresight to be sorted like you. If this is unfair, I apologise, but that's how it comes across.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You aren't going to cry when it's not a recession?
    I think a purging of excess is in order so the world can return back to normality. But I don't care either way as I am sorted.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Of course, "this time it's different"
    You aren't going to cry when it's not a recession?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Of course, "this time it's different"

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I blame the government.
    If the govt/media are trynig to scare you about something, it means they want to pass some laws which you wouldn't stomache otherwise.

e.g.
    VED doubling on older cars = they want to 'fall back' to Road Pricing, hoping it seems the lesser of two evils. You'd never agree to Road Pricing on its own

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

The contractor beside me who left a month ago got another one within a week. I'm still getting several calls a week and I don't even have my CV online anywhere. The shops are rammed, have yuo seen the travel agents? Not a seat to be had, standing room only. I still can't get a Nintendo Wii Fit in the shops for love nor money, they sell out in minutes. Several huge residential construction projects in my home town are still merrily continuing. Houses are sill being sold in my street.

I blame the government.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It's been 'early days' since Northern Rock. That was a year ago.

The contractor beside me who left a month ago got another one within a week. I'm still getting several calls a week and I don't even have my CV online anywhere. The shops are rammed, have yuo seen the travel agents? Not a seat to be had, standing room only. I still can't get a Nintendo Wii Fit in the shops for love nor money, they sell out in minutes. Several huge residential construction projects in my home town are still merrily continuing. Houses are sill being sold in my street.

Doomed? I wish someone would tell me where, I can't see it.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!"
    Charles Mackay, 1841

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Financial people mucking about? Exactly - but the consequences are all too real. And you don't see any signs of mass panic because it's early days yet. Wait till the unemployment figures start rising.
    It's been 'early days' since Northern Rock. That was a year ago.

Doomed? I wish someone would tell me where, I can't see it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    But all of those things are just the financial people mucking about. Oil and food prices are going up because of speculation, not because their availability or supply has actually changed. The mortgage approvals drop is due to the banks not lending to each other any more, not because they've actually got less money. And house prices are just made up anyway. The ones that sold may have been cheaper because those owners were desperate to sell up or something, but there are far fewer sales going on because buyers are hanging on to see what happens. So it's not as if property has actually lost its value, just that the market is dead at the moment.

As they've demonstrated repeatedly in the media, you can do all sorts with the same figures to make everything sound great, or everything sound terrible. I don't see any signs of mass panic round here though. Most people have plenty of ways to cut back on their extravagant spending before they start to actually "suffer".

I'm not being flippantly optimistic here; just saying that the news stories do about turns with what are essentially the same facts, give or take a few dollars a barrel or whatever.
    Financial people mucking about? Exactly - but the consequences are all too real. And you don't see any signs of mass panic because it's early days yet. Wait till the unemployment figures start rising.
    What people don't realise is that they've been living in a massive financial bubble and it's just been pricked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X