• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Indian support centres"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by NetworkNinja View Post
    Following on from the Bell Wire suggestion - Try connecting direct to your BT master socket and see what you speed you sync at. I have 2 PSTN lines at home but both use the same internal wiring. The internal cores of the same cable have been split. 3 go to all the sockets in the house and then to the modem, while another three connect solely to a DSL modem. The one that goes through all the sockets gets 3MB down 1MB up whereas the one that goes direct gets about 7MB down 1.3MB up.

HTH
    Just to add a bit: You have to unscrew the bottom portion and plug it in the socket behind otherwise you don’t bypass your internal wiring, also download Routerstats, it works with Netgear’s and most other routers with a bit of fiddling, its a helpful tool which can run in the background and save logs automatically which helps track down exactly when its going wrong.

Leave a comment:

• NetworkNinja
    replied
    Following on from the Bell Wire suggestion - Try connecting direct to your BT master socket and see what you speed you sync at. I have 2 PSTN lines at home but both use the same internal wiring. The internal cores of the same cable have been split. 3 go to all the sockets in the house and then to the modem, while another three connect solely to a DSL modem. The one that goes through all the sockets gets 3MB down 1MB up whereas the one that goes direct gets about 7MB down 1.3MB up.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    Switch to Zen - I did, after they moved into the offices of one of my clients & found they had a UK based helpdesk...plus I've got access to walk straight into their support floor any time day or night!

Have you tried disconnecting the bell wire on your extension wiring, might help you!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    BT = Brilliant No trouble at all and excellent service
    Were a stinking pile of excrement when I used to deal with them at my old house. Necessary evil now, but after paying my monthy monopoly fine to BT, I use ZEN -they are so fab they'll give you a monthly contract.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by dinker View Post
    The best ISP in the country is Zen, expensive but they speak English!
    IDNET.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    I am with Pipex, uk based, never had a problem

Leave a comment:

• NetworkNinja
    replied
    I strongly recommend Andrews and Arnold. They have been really great in setting me up with a new connection. I joined their DSL2+ trial and they've even paid for a new PSTN line and free DSL while I'm trialling the service.

They also seem to be one of the very few ISPs offering Native IPv6 in Europe. Excellent support via the phone (UK based) and IRC. http://www.aaisp.net/

I also have a connections with bethere and Nildram. Can't fault either of them although Nildram wins out on the support side. Be tend to take a while getting back to you.

With regards to O2, I think they block certain traffic types (ipsec for example) so just check the small print if moving providers.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    WHS
    "English"? If you can call being from the parts of Rochdale that they are from "English".

i was with them for 3mths and cancelled as i had several issues with them. i nearly resorted to calling at their office on my way home and kicking off.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by dinker View Post
    The best ISP in the country is Zen, expensive but they speak English!
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    I am still fuming about their customer support but the problem now seems to be rectified.

I sent a couple of emails complaining and also managed to speak to someone in the UK by phoning their head office in the UK. Whatever, it seemed to put the wind up their techies and I seemed to get non-stop attention and only spoke to guys in Bombay that could speak excellent English!

The problem was not the ISP after all - it was my modem!! The ISP arranged for BT to come out to check the line. When the engineer visited, he was a good guy and did way more to help then he should have!! We came to the conclusion that the line was fine and the router ws slow in processing any traffic (despite me having carried out a firmware upgrade). I changed the router to a newer fatser one (Belkin to Netgear) and voila - full speed restored. I now get 1.9M on a 2M line.

In fairness, once the ISP found out it was the router they sent a new one in the post (FOC) but I will keep that as a spare. I just wish they had handled it like that from the start without all this hassle! I will stick with them for now but if i get another problem I will change straight away so thanks for the tips.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Be* are in Eastern Europe – half way back. They have their dodgy moments now and again, but far better than stinking pile of excrement I was with before: C&W.
    Haha - I am on a WAN project going to C&W with over 400 sites. Oh, Joy....

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Force9 (now Plusnet.... (now BT) )

Been with them years, very good service, very few outages.

Bit of a hiccup with email a while ago but all sorted now.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    I am so fuming at my ISP. I have been having such a cr*p service from them of late and I am sick to death of calling their Bombay call centre for tech support.

I started with a 1MB line 4 weeks ago and the speed actually went down to 60kbps. They still have not resolved the issue even after upgrading to 2MB. I have a BT engineer coming to me on monday.

They have said that I may only be able to get a good speed by going to 8MB but this will take 2 weeks and I will have to put up with the speed until then!!!

I am fuming!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!

I am thinking of chaning to a UK based outfit!!
    I really do recommend ADSL24 .. very fast, no "fair use policy", generous limits, great support. UK based

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I'm on O2....... excellent !! Also get a discount because I have an O2 mobile phone. 7.50 pounds a month !!

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Tesco are pretty good. HTH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X