• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New York trip

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New York trip"

Collapse

• ControlG
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    Central Park and zoo
    FAO Schwartz (you can play on the big floor piano from the movie Big)
    Toys R Us Times Sq (has a full size ferris wheel inside)
    M&M World also in Times Sq
    Battery Park City is a fantastic place for half an hour sit down

We've taken our sub-10-yr kids there, and they love it, especially the eating (try Cheyenne Diner on W 33rd - it was featured on that OJ ad from a few years ago "how do you like your eggs in the morning")
    Many thanks. Noted all of these and passed them on to my eldest who are planning our trip. It's reassuring to hear that "sub-10 yr kids" enjoy it as well.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlG View Post
    Any suggestions for good place to take the 8 year old that may give a break from the obvious hectic nature of such a trip.
    Central Park and zoo
    FAO Schwartz (you can play on the big floor piano from the movie Big)
    Toys R Us Times Sq (has a full size ferris wheel inside)
    M&M World also in Times Sq
    Battery Park City is a fantastic place for half an hour sit down

We've taken our sub-10-yr kids there, and they love it, especially the eating (try Cheyenne Diner on W 33rd - it was featured on that OJ ad from a few years ago "how do you like your eggs in the morning")

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    You will be grand they'll be loving spending time with their Dad and I bet ye will all have a blast.
    Thanks CM - I'm sure we will have a great time. The eldest two still live with me and I have the youngest 3/4 nights a week so we spending lots of time at the moment planning what we're going to do.

Youngest has heard that the world's biggest Toys R Us is in Times Square so she wants to go there

My main worry with her is the amount of walking we'll do. I need to plan carefully.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I was worried a bit about this when we booked it. It was planned to be the last family holiday before the eldest two went to university and New York was somewhere they'd always wanted to go.

Going on my own with the kids tends to put a different perspective on it now. I was expecting a busy time, now it'll be even busier.

Eldest two can't wait to 'hit the shops'
    You could combine the two - drive to 6 flags in new jersey, stop at some of the outlet stores in New Jersey (NO sales tax in new jersey) - some of them are huge. Can look some up if you're interested.

Shopping generally take them to century 21 - designer stuff with massive reductions - all just chucked together. Every guys nightmare, but women love it as the rummage through big buckets of stuff for designer gear at bargain prices.

Or generally - soho is great, or the big dept stores - macys, saks, bloomingdales etc. 5th avenue if you've got series wads of cash burnign a hole in your pocket - china town for knock off gear.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I was worried a bit about this when we booked it. It was planned to be the last family holiday before the eldest two went to university and New York was somewhere they'd always wanted to go.

Going on my own with the kids tends to put a different perspective on it now. I was expecting a busy time, now it'll be even busier.

You will be grand they'll be loving spending time with their Dad and I bet ye will all have a blast.

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    It's not a particularly kid friendly city - struggling to really think of things to do for kids there to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    I'm off there for 8 days in 3 weeks time. I'm going with my 18 year old twin daughters and my 8 year old daughter. Wife not coming as she's left me since we booked it

I was expecting a busy time, even more so now.

Any suggestions for good place to take the 8 year old that may give a break from the obvious hectic nature of such a trip.
    Have a look at this one for eating - good fun

http://www.mars2112.com/

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I'm off there for 8 days in 3 weeks time. I'm going with my 18 year old twin daughters and my 8 year old daughter. Wife not coming as she's left me since we booked it

Central park is always nice.

If you want to drive then a couple of hours away is 6 flags - rides/water park which is fun. Coney island is a bit cheesy but worth a visit. The Metropolitan is a great museum (Huge!!)

It's not a particularly kid friendly city - struggling to really think of things to do for kids there to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Smoking stunts your growth...
    I don't smoke.... yuk!!

But I'd hate to not to be able to get a pint cos the barman was being pedantic - heavens above... God forbid I might miss out on a drink

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Crikey - guess I will be carrying my passport around with me
    Smoking stunts your growth...

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I been ID'd for ciggies in NYC (A few times). I was 30 something at the time!!!!
    Crikey - guess I will be carrying my passport around with me

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I got ID'd at the weekend but I think the barman was just taking the piss

My sis always gets ID'd for cigs and she is 27
    I been ID'd for ciggies in NYC (A few times). I was 30 something at the time!!!!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I know what you mean on that one - I got carded a few times in California and it was a pain in the @rse - how many people take their passports out with them when they go out for a beer?
    I got ID'd at the weekend but I think the barman was just taking the piss

My sis always gets ID'd for cigs and she is 27

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I know what you mean on that one - I got carded a few times in California and it was a pain in the @rse - how many people take their passports out with them when they go out for a beer?
    I take our passports everywhere, always scared of losing them in some crappy hotel safe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X