• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bankruptcy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bankruptcy"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    I know someone very well who went bust. It was a very simple affair as she had nothing. No property etc just a lot of unsecured debt.
    Yeah, I think as long as you don't own a house or any large assets then you are ok....They may take a look at your shares in your company however. I don't know how this will work...but you could dispose of those to a relative and then reacquire them afterward...but I think there is some type of time scope on this.

The best place to get advice is of course with an insolvency solicitor or even the citizen's advice bureau as they see this all the time.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    She told the bank about her past and they told her as long as there was no fraud involved, no problem.
    Yeah, the banks like to keep a monopoly on the Fraud... they don't want enterpising employee's coming up with better ideas!

See Here...

Sorry I can't offer any useful advice.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    I know someone very well who went bust. It was a very simple affair as she had nothing. No property etc just a lot of unsecured debt.

Good advice (well, this is a matter of how you see it) was that she signed on just before going bust as you get relief on the fees, but you still have to pay a deposit. Stay on the dole why you are actually bust then you don't have to make any further payments once you are dischared as obviously, you still have nothing. She was discharged after 6 months as there was nothing to haggle over.

She was very worried that the receiver would come and strip her (rented) flat, but they are only interested in items of over 3 grand or so, resale value, so unless you have hordes of diamonds and fine art, no worries. They even let her keep her car as she said she needed it to 'look for work' (ahem).

4 years on she now contracts with a bank in the city. She told the bank about her past and they told her as long as there was no fraud involved, no problem.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    My wife nearly went bankrupt...she got some loans (from me) and used a lot of her other cash to pay a portion of the debts she had...as well as the IP's bill - which was £25K and his solicitor £11K. She had the bankruptcy annulled. The IP only held off for such a long time (5 years) because he "thought" the house was in negative equity...yeah right.

The IP will still want his cash before he discharges you..and if that's more than what you're assets are..he may not do it. You'll need to negotiate his fees as well. They charge about £150-300/hr BTW plus costs. It may be worthwhile to have your accountant do the negotiations.

IMHO unless its a mountain which you will never be able to climb over..don't go bankrupt.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    hang on, if its just the tax man, then its the ltd co that goes not you personally. its the ltd co that owes... this is the whole point of using ltd co. you wouldnt lose house as its not a company asset.
    The majority of my income comes from a self-employed venture, so it's me who owes the money, not my ltd. But thanks for the advice.

(I suspect that as the director of a ltd, if any of you folks "spent the tax money" then hmrc would come after you personally as it was you who abstracted the money from the company).

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    But from a shellfish point of view, I'd rather you did go bankrupt. Then your house will be auctioned off cheap, will help to accelerate the HPC, and I'll be able to pick it up for a song.
    Sorry, but I rent my house.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I told you B-T-L was a bad idea.

WHS I was going to say that.

But I was listening to some bint on Radio 4 the other day who said that she talked to her mortgage company to ask them to stop the interest and reduce the repayments to a small amount. And they did.

So maybe instead of going bankrupt you could try to negotiate that, and keep paying hardly anything for many years, until inflation (eventually) inflates away those debts.

But from a shellfish point of view, I'd rather you did go bankrupt. Then your house will be auctioned off cheap, will help to accelerate the HPC, and I'll be able to pick it up for a song.
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 4 July 2008, 21:45.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    ...but I hereby award you 10 Moral Support Points.

tl
    Another 10 from me.

I know how expensive divorces are, even though we didn't get lawyers involved, with 3 kids I wound up approx £250k down. Fortunately insolvency wasn't on my horizon and I can't begin to imagine how hellish that must be for you

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    No actual advice...

...but I hereby award you 10 Moral Support Points.

tl

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    hang on, if its just the tax man, then its the ltd co that goes not you personally. its the ltd co that owes... this is the whole point of using ltd co. you wouldnt lose house as its not a company asset.

All debts except CSA and a few others would be written off and you would no longer have to pay them even if assets dont cover them.
    I have a feeling they can come after directors now. In any case, if the company is wound up I think you'd be disqualified from being a director for several years.

Also, if you think a winding up petition is imminent, make sure there's no money left in the company account because that will be frozen.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Scooby, if you check you will find that SC and DV clearances are done by one prime agency and they take a very, very dim view of Bankruptcy, IVA's and even CCJ's.
    By default they check with the credit reference agencies and negative financial indicators are taken as an increased Security risk. The standard forms all have a section involving financial history even BC if memory serves.

I've got a PDF copy of the BC and SC forms kicking about I'll check, but having filled them out again in the last 6 months I'm certain that the questions are asked.

If the Department or Defence contractor needs SC and above then they don't get to set what's considered cleared, it's down to the HMG Vetting Agency.

For obvious reasons working for any of the banks requires a credit check these days too.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Divorce, school fees, a period when I didn't work for 12 months due to feeling like a loser. Credit funded the lot. Now I've spent my tax money and Hector is cross.

All debts except CSA and a few others would be written off and you would no longer have to pay them even if assets dont cover them.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Bankruptcy means you will not get Security Clearance so future gigs at many HMG departments will be impossible. Financial institutions also won't touch you with a barge pole for work either, it's a very serious step.
    sorry, this is wrong. It depends on your background and dept you're asking clearance from.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAccountant
    replied
    Hi Platypus

How upset is Hector?

He may put your company into compulsory liquidation and then appoint an Insolvency Practitioner to liquidate any assets - probably big fat zero. If you have acted 'wrongly or fraudulently' as a director, you will be personally responsible for the tax. Not keeping Hectors cut does not go down well. You may get banned as a director - minimum 2 years.

If you have no assets, the IP will probably take an offer on the tax bill - maybe 50-70% or so. All this can take a some time.

Depending on other debts, if you can get a well paying contract, you could survive without going bankrupt. If you get banned as a director, just work through an umbrella company.

PM me if you want

Best regards

DA

Leave a comment:

• skelm
    replied
    Hope everything works out!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X