• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "800,000 people have been on sick for over 10 years"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    And hundreds of thousands starving to death. My father was disabled after an accident that shattered his spine and legs. No miracle recovery there I'm afraid. He died bedridden.
    I thinkt hat's the point though. A load of otherwise employable people claiming a benefit which is meant to target at real cases of medical hardship.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    As pointed out before - the severley disabled do not tend to get better. My son for instance will never see, so he is probably going to be on these types of benefits for years.
    Sorry to sound callous, but what's to stop him becoming a piano tuner, or jazz musician?

There must be some things blind people can do, even better than sighted (although possibly piano tuning is done with oscilliscopes and stuff these days - I really don't know).

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    If they abolished Disability benefits, you'd see hundreds of thousands of miraculous overnight cures!
    And hundreds of thousands starving to death. My father was disabled after an accident that shattered his spine and legs. No miracle recovery there I'm afraid. He died bedridden.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    If they abolished Disability benefits, you'd see hundreds of thousands of miraculous overnight cures!

Unemployment benefit claimants.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Are you somehow expected to miraculously recover from Severe Disablement after a few years then? I thought we didn't believe in Jesus on here?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    They are probably measuring it against sitting working in an office all day with little money.

But there are lots of things you can do in most offices to waste time. Like getting everyone on the floor a cup of tea or coffee, posting on random internet forums, playing cricket, go for a walkabout..............

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Bloody hell who woke you up?
    Somebody mentioned work

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I never understand why anybody thinks sitting around at home all day with nothing to do and little money is a good cure for depression.
    They are probably measuring it against sitting working in an office all day with little money.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Bloody hell who woke you up?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    That's how you keep unemployment down. That and creating thousands of public sector jobs.
    Along with trying to get >50% of school leavers to go to Uni as well.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    We have only just started claiming the DLA thing for James. He gets the medium level - Because he is only blind. He doesn't qualify for the higher mobilty level because he isn't deaf also, which I think stinks. The mobility part is to pay for the travel needs of somebody who is disabled - people on the higher level qualify for a motability car for their use. Because he is blind they argue that he can get around under his own steam, dispite the fact that at 11 years old I'm hardly likely to let him head off into town on a bus. Everything James does means somebody has to drop him off and pick him up, including the VI sports club he goes to every Saturday in Stretford (that's a fun jaunt from Rochdale, especially on match days)

The DLA for james is supposed to e paid to us, but we put it into his bank account so that he can save up for uni etc.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    As for the blue badges - many are given to people who really shouldn't have them.
    True, there is a statutory definition. some fit this, some don't. Beyond that it's down to the authority's discretionary policy and these vary considerably.

A couple of years ago before treatment for a neurological condition I couldn't walk more than about 50 yards. I didn't qualify by my authority's discretionary criteria because I wasn't in enough pain. [At the time I had been told I qualified for the tier 1 mobility portion of DLA but I wasn't going to claim it, if I had I *think* I would have fitted the statutory definition].

I think part of the blue badge policy is that it's a bit all or nothing. There is probably justification for a "partial" sort of blue badge. given the layout of all shopping facilities etc it is generally fairly difficult to go about your daily life if you can only walk 50 yards in one go. An ability to be able to park closer to facilities for a limited period rather than the 3 hours would certainly have made me less dependant on others rather than more.

We never use ours when James is not in the car
    If more people had this attitude it would be much better.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    As pointed out before - the severley disabled do not tend to get better. My son for instance will never see, so he is probably going to be on these types of benefits for years. What I do not agree with is how incapacity benefit seemed to become the benefit of choice. Yes this started under the Tories, but Labour have been running the show for 11 years. The fact it has been maintained by Labour is a disgrace, especially as it is not something which has come as a suprise to anybody.

As for the blue badges - many are given to people who really shouldn't have them. There is also a large amount which get stolen each year as they allow the user to park pretty much anywhere including double yellows. We never use ours when James is not in the car
    I'm not surprised. But you are running counter to the culture IMHO. I even once saw a woman trying to maintain to a security man that her son's blue badge meant that she could park "anywhere", including in a parking space on private ground.

And I'm pretty sure that nobody is getting at someone who is blind; indeed someone mentioned chancers in effect stealing from genuine claimants.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    You can be on the sick for Depression/Stress and other fairly minor 'disabilities' as many scammers know. These people are robbing from the genuine disabled. it's a wonder they don't pretend to be old to get meals on wheels.
    Thanks for the tip; Baggy

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    It's the 10 people who have been on the sick for 800,000 years who need to be caught.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X