• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Holiday home anyone?"

Collapse

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    You portuguensi, Pinto?
    no, I'm portuguesi
    Last edited by Pinto; 10 August 2005, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Quite, Lucifer old chap.

The bright red skin, horns, tail & pitchfork do tend to frighten the natives a bit...
    You didn't think it was a coincidence there is a place called "Boca do Inferno" (The Mouth of Hell) not far from my pile did you?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto
    Good stuff. Glad to see that there are people that don't think Portugal is just the Algarve!
    You portuguensi, Pinto?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Good stuff. Glad to see that there are people that don't think Portugal is just the Algarve!
    Never been there! I'm quite happy tootling around places such as Sintra, Tomar, Coimbra, Obidos and the like, as I'm not a beach sort of person.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Yes, but not quite that far (Estoril).

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Along the coast that takes you to Cascais?
    Yes, but not quite that far (Estoril).

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    West of Lisbon.

Along the coast that takes you to Cascais?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    I bet Algarve, have I won my 5 pounds?
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    I bet Algarve, have I won my 5 pounds?

And certainly not close to the spanish coast either but in the full set of golfing clubs and irish pubs in the Algarve new british resort.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    West of Lisbon.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Lucifer,

Where in Portugal, if you don't mind me asking?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Not sure about the mate bit, Sasguru. What happens if he lets you down? Sounds to me like he's not going to be that bothered about doing anything.

Good basic concept though. Take no notice of all the misery punters on here and get your holiday pile. I've had a place in Portugal for quite a while and have never regretted it for a moment (even when it's empty).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    There's something I'm not telling you

My mate who will live in the property is an old university friend from 15 years ago. Some years ago he turned his back on the rat race and now lives in Crete where he's been working as an odd job man renovating people's second homes.
    He trained as an engineer and is pretty good with his hands.
    So the deal is I buy a wreck (which can be obtained for not much more than the price of a top end car here) and he slowly does it up, in exchange for living there rent free.
    So not such a bad investment after all, I think. Only slight downside is is it wise to come to such an arangement with a mate?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    so let's get this straight, you plan to pay cash for a stone hut in Crete which you will call your holiday _home_ and you plan to visit there 3 or 4 times a year and when you're not there you know a cretin who will live there and maintain it for you

Milan.
    Some of my relatives went on holidays in the same place at the same location for 20 years. If they have bought a flat there, they would have saved money plus would have had a capital at the end. It pretty much depends on your lifestyle but I wouldnt say that it's the worst investment in the world if you plan to spend a consistent number of holidays in the years to come at the same place. Certainly there are better investment opportunities, including the possibility of renting it out most of the year but then again, it's all up to individual lifestyle and greed (and also possibility of sudden holidays).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    so let's get this straight, you plan to pay cash for a stone hut in Crete which you will call your holiday _home_ and you plan to visit there 3 or 4 times a year and when you're not there you know a cretin who will live there and maintain it for you

Milan.
    Yes. Good, eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X