• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should the NHS pay for the consequences of you eating pie?"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I'm impressed! Oh, you mean teens of stones weight.
    If you're steady at 21.5 stone, can you get to 12.5 stone by just eating 1 bag of quavers less a day? I doubt it.
    Yes, teens stones, and dropping (i have a 10km run in Sept and I want to lose another couple by then)

Nah that's exactly my point, you can get from 12 to 21 by eating a pack of quavers extra day for 10 years, but you can't go the other way by eating a pack less a day for 10 years.

You have to do something much more drastic, and not everybody can do it. In fact i would say that most people couldn't do it, including a lot of the people fortunate enough not to let themselves get fat in the first place. Unless you've had to lose 5-10 stone of body mass, you can't comprehend the difficulties.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I see a lot of people shaped like this in the US and more commonly here. No idea why that is.
    Growth hormones in the beef. Accounts for the big square jaw too.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I think the problem is that it's not just one thing. For me it was just sitting about in front of PCs all day not eating the right thing, take this example:

If you eat 100kcal a day more than you burn (i.e. a bag of Quavers)

- that's 700kcals a week
    - that's 3500kcals a month, which equals 1lb of fat
    - that's 12 lbs weight gain a year
    - over 10 years that's 8.5 stone

So you don't have to 'overeat' to get fat, you just have to do it a little bit over a long time. So watch out all you 20-something desk jockeys.... When i was 18 years old I was 12.5 stone. By the time I was 35 I was 21.5 stone.

Luckily I put in the work, and I'm back down in the teens again.
    I'm impressed! Oh, you mean teens of stones weight.

If you're steady at 21.5 stone, can you get to 12.5 stone by just eating 1 bag of quavers less a day? I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I see a lot of people shaped like this in the US and more commonly here. No idea why that is.
    It's like something out of Dr Who, soon the bottom half will become a useless blob of fat and grissle

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I was gettin goff the train in London the other day when I saw the oddest thing. A woman incredibly fat on the bottom half but only plump at the top. Must have been a 16 at the top and 20 plus at the bottom. You see quite a lot a fatties these days but that was odd. If you don't have a medical condition is there really any excuse?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Smoking suppresses the appetite so give all the lardies fags...

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Seriously if you give up red meat and limit potatos and bread for a while the weight falls off.
    i was on a 'nothing white' diet for a while, lost about 3 stone. So you can eat wholemeal bread but not white, no potatoes, white rice, bananas, etc.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I would like to know how long a grossly obese person could live without food. Water allowed. Is it months?
    This isn't the answer to your question, but given the rate you burn calories when asleep, and the calorific density of fat, the Sleeping Beauty would have had to be just over 1 tonne when she went to sleep.

(I worked that out 30 years ago when my Biology homework and Physics homework coincided with a useful synergy.)

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    When I was fat, my quack advised me not to have milk in my tea. Thanks doc.

Seriously if you give up red meat and limit potatos and bread for a while the weight falls off.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I would like to know how long a grossly obese person could live without food. Water allowed. Is it months?
    A lot longer than a skinnie. If civilization collpases, they will eat you once you get too weak to run away.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Or maybe if the doctors advised them not to eat takeaways and red meat for a few months.
    When I was fat, my quack advised me not to have milk in my tea. Thanks doc.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Or maybe if the doctors advised them not to eat takeaways and red meat for a few months.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    The proper fatties without medical conditions are just eating out of control while sitting around doing nothing, if they want an early grave then fine but it's in their hands or mouths at it were.
    The problem is that it's cheaper to pay for medicines to help them diet than it is to treat the diabetes/cardiac arrests/colon cancers etc that come later. So while it may appear unfair, it works out cheaper for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Food is going up in price so fast that there will be far fewer fatties around in the future. However, the skinny ones amongst us would have died of starvation and hypothermia first though. So it is best to be a porker now in the hope you will survive in the dark times to come.
    The thing is cheap food is full of fat. The price of food will make more people fat. As someone who is fairly lazy and likes Fish n Chips, indian takeaway, chinese and cakes (not all at once), I can't understand how people get really fat. If you put on a stone then cut down. The proper fatties without medical conditions are just eating out of control while sitting around doing nothing, if they want an early grave then fine but it's in their hands or mouths at it were.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X