• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bloody hell!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bloody hell!"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Yah this has already happened. Anchor pulled a chunk out of the wall, plaster just crumbled.

Sounds like a plan - all this for a mirror though. Thinking a missionary drill bit will get a hole into the stone. Should be the easiest.
    Freudian slip?

You will need realy long screws. Old plaster can be more than a couple of inches thick. You dont want the screws to be relying on the plaster for support.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    What could be more exciting that a wall a mirror and a carpet?
    mm
    a lion , a witch and a wardrobe

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Yah this has already happened. Anchor pulled a chunk out of the wall, plaster just crumbled.

Sounds like a plan - all this for a mirror though. Thinking a missionary drill bit will get a hole into the stone. Should be the easiest.
    Our wall was masonry drilled and plugged, the wire on the back of the mirror just broke.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Anything heavy will just pull a huge chunk of wall out.

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Otherwise. Use a pull saw to cut out between the noggins then screw in some brackets then a sheet of plywood on the brackets. Plasterbaord over the ply then plaster smooth. Then you can drill and screw to the wood. All the new lights in my house are mounted like this.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    This wall was put there long before the wonders of breeze block... 1898 long ago.
    How big a job do you want to make of this?

You can get plasterboard anchors. They should work, there is a big threaded outer which screws into the plaster and then you put a smaller screw into the anchor. Dont buy the plastic ones. Anything heavy will just pull a huge chunk of wall out.

Otherwise. Use a pull saw to cut out between the noggins then screw in some brackets then a sheet of plywood on the brackets. Plasterbaord over the ply then plaster smooth. Then you can drill and screw to the wood. All the new lights in my house are mounted like this.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    This wall was put there long before the wonders of breeze block... 1898 long ago.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    double spooky... Just fitted a 6ft mirror to the wall after 4 attempts of drilling into plaster and watching it crumble in front of me. I hate plaster board.
    Gotta use a long drill and get the plug into the breeze block behind the plasterboard... unless its a partition wall in which case you're limited to where the noggins are

HTH

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    double spooky... Just fitted a 6ft mirror to the wall after 4 attempts of drilling into plaster and watching it crumble in front of me. I hate plaster board.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Yes you doooooooo!
    And so do I

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I don't want to think about it.
    Yes you doooooooo!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I don't want to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I wish it was something that exciting. Just sitting here watching telly and then there was a loud creak and bang - a big chunk out of the wall, mirror on the carpet.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Shook it right down onto the bed did you? Happens to me all the time.
    Good job it didn't break, because those little pointy bits are a devil to get out of leopardskin.
    I wish it was something that exciting. Just sitting here watching telly and then there was a loud creak and bang - a big chunk out of the wall, mirror on the carpet.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Spooky!

Lucky the cat was there for the mirror to land on, eh?
    Very spooky.

Oh yes, the cat.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Shook it right down onto the bed did you? Happens to me all the time.
    Good job it didn't break, because those little pointy bits are a devil to get out of leopardskin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X