• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cisco contractors - Doomed"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
    Token ring sucks balls, much like your mother, ethernet is and shall allways be king!
    Dad!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Token ring sucks balls, much like your mother
    Subtle

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Token ring sucks balls, much like your mother, ethernet is and shall allways be king!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I've worked with tons other other network kit and found, on the whole, cisco stuff is expensive for a reason, the same reason why it's used all over the world and most of the internet and other large networks use it....

Their firewalls are gash mind, aviod like the plauge!

As for CCNA/CCIE people, yes there is a massive gap, but there is also a massive gap between no CCNA and a CCNA, most people will tell you the first step is the hardest, well maybes not as hard as the CCIE lab that is, even harder if you have no networking expereince!
    Networking experience?

Come back Token-Ring!

Madge Networks, I love you!

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I already have and yeah, you're probably right - don't bother me, not like I'm paying for them.
    I've worked with tons other other network kit and found, on the whole, cisco stuff is expensive for a reason, the same reason why it's used all over the world and most of the internet and other large networks use it....

Their firewalls are gash mind, aviod like the plauge!

As for CCNA/CCIE people, yes there is a massive gap, but there is also a massive gap between no CCNA and a CCNA, most people will tell you the first step is the hardest, well maybes not as hard as the CCIE lab that is, even harder if you have no networking expereince!

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
    Forget the last, read the original posting again, Not like Anycast at all. Ciscos still overpriced though

I already have and yeah, you're probably right - don't bother me, not like I'm paying for them.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842197

Why use some overpriced lump of cr@p with a cisco badge to do something that Uncle Bill sorted for us years ago.

Forget the last, read the original posting again, Not like Anycast at all. Ciscos still overpriced though

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I'm shaking in me boots ...

Tell you what - I'll give you the rest of the day, go find out how to configure anycast - give you a clue, it involves using the same IP address in different places ;-)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842197

Why use some overpriced lump of cr@p with a cisco badge to do something that Uncle Bill sorted for us years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I don't see how this site will enable anyone to troubleshoot a broken network - if they don't already know what they're doing.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    It's quite obvious I'm talking about the 90%+ of Cisco contractors without the CCIE.
    You guys wouldn't need this anyhow, just use your superpowers to fly anti-clockwise around the Earth and travel back in time to prevent the problem before it occurs.
    BTW There's 800 of us CCIE's in Britain - I reckon there's more than 8000 Cisco contractors ;-)

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    It's quite obvious I'm talking about the 90%+ of Cisco contractors without the CCIE.
    You guys wouldn't need this anyhow, just use your superpowers to fly anti-clockwise around the Earth and travel back in time to prevent the problem before it occurs.
    Oh ffs - did you never hear of the DOC CD (This in an earlier form), or TAC or any number of other cisco resources that have been around forever. The wiki is a great wee resource, but that's all it is - without the knowledge and understanding behind it then it's useless.

You have to know what it is you're looking for, what it is you're trying to troubleshoot, which options are available to you for a design etc. This wiki isn't going to do that - at best it'll save you an hour of searching through the doc cd ...

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
    twaddle.....

there are plenty of resources on the web for every technology - the trick is to understand it and know how to implement a solution (usually through experience). One lab exam off a CCIE (security) myself and the gap I've seen working with engineers from the CCNA level engineers and those at CCIE is immence.

No amount of wiki is ever going to worry those with the experience......

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    twaddle.....

there are plenty of resources on the web for every technology - the trick is to understand it and know how to implement a solution (usually through experience). One lab exam off a CCIE (security) myself and the gap I've seen working with engineers from the CCNA level engineers and those at CCIE is immence.

No amount of wiki is ever going to worry those with the experience......

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    http://www.oracle.com/support/index.html
    Now you're an Oracle DBA.

Prefer SAP?
    http://www.sap.com/services/bysubject/support/index.epx

Having the manual is not enough to make an expert.

FFS these are just vague advertising product descriptions, the Cisco WIKI is deep.
    And Mr. "oops did I forget to mention I'm CCIE, silly me", you is wrong. There is a ton of info in the WIKI especially for support level (CCNA) bods. Take a look at it..
    It's no biggie for me, these days I have my people do that kind of thing for me.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Actually pure co-incidence
    But definition is one thing, go configure it ;-)

BTW Did I mention I'm a CCIE ...

The wiki is nothing new, just the DOC CD for dummies - interpreting it and doing config, design/troubleshooting is something entirely different. That wiki probably represents less than .01 percent of what you actually need to be able to cover
    I'm afraid that's about 80% greek to me.

I only wish there was something less unintelligible than this which I tend to need to refer to quite a bit these days...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X