• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The CD you couldn't live without..."

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Skrewdriver - Hail the new dawn
    I'm guessing you have the Causus Deli boxset?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    the op was after proposals of the cd that you could not live without and considerations for the perfect album. i think the assumption was that these would be one and the same but there are plenty of awesome long players that contain the odd dud track yet still tick enough aural and emotional boxes to warrant being desert island albums. stephen stills an example - his eponymous album is an absolute cracker despite the awful first song.

i'd agree that "astral weeks" and "abraxas" are perfect albums - they that rare combination of quality, consistency and completeness. others are well known - there are quite a few top album lists and the upper echelons of any of these lists will provide the standard "classic/perfect" albums.

which is the most perfect is impossible to say though. can "forever changes" by love be more perfect than "mingus dynasty" by charles mingus or "the twelve dreams of dr.sardonicus" by spirit be more perfect than fairport convention's "liege and lief" or "kind of blue " by miles davis be more perfect than pink floyd's "dark side of the moon" or "exile on main street" by the rolling stones be more perfect than "trout mask replica" by captain beefheart or "exodus" by bob marley be more perfect than "revolver" by the beatles or radiohead's "ok computer" be more perfect than "pet sounds" by the beach boys? it depends on the day of the week, the time of day, the activity and mood of the listener etc.

still, if push comes to shove and i can only take one album it would be "back to back: play the blues" by duke ellington and johnny hodges.
    Last edited by DS23; 25 June 2008, 06:10. Reason: by your leaf

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Well done on the autograph Kali !

Aye, the beer bellies were a bit off-putting.

Do you remember when one of them was "up ended" and his kilt flew open ?

We were standing at the top of the steps on the left, by the bar and with the Merchandise stand to our right.

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Aye, it was sad.

We were just behind the mosh-pit "human pyramid" of the tatooed fellas. (Not you I hope) :-)

They were quite entertaining.
    Entertaining in a gross middle-aged men sort of way.... that amount of beerbelly should never be visible, i felt quite queasy ewwwwww

We were a bit further back. The aftershow was kewl, managed to get Simon's autograph on my ticket but missed Wayne.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    I've not heard it. I always preferred "The Anti-nowhere League" version of Ralph McTells' "Streets of London".
    I prefer the Anti Nowhere Leagues "We will not remember you", or "Woman"...

Don't often hear of this band now...

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I've always preferred the Bus Station Loonies version of Temple.....
    I've not heard it. I always preferred "The Anti-nowhere League" version of Ralph McTells' "Streets of London".

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    My personal faves are "Temple of Love" and "Gimme Shelter".
    I've always preferred the Bus Station Loonies version of Temple.....

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Strawpeople - Vicarious

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Ocean Colour Scene - Marchin' Already...

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    My personal faves are "Temple of Love" and "Gimme Shelter".

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I know First & Last & Always is considered their magnus opus, but I liked the change in direction with Floodland, from guitar to synthesisers.

I could listen to Dominion/Mother Russia", Lucretia My Reflection and This Corrosion, over and over again as these songs, for me, epitomise the Sisters.

YMMV of course !

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    We were there too
    Aye, it was sad.

We were just behind the mosh-pit "human pyramid" of the tatooed fellas. (Not you I hope) :-)

They were quite entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    ...Plus the whole Mission Catalogue. That's not negotiable. I'm just lucky to have seen them play their last gigs at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in Feb '08.
    We were there too

Very emotional on the last night

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Seriously ... Floodland above First & Last & Always?
    WHS....

Lucretia is great - has one of those seminal bass riffs but overall I wouldn't rated it above FALAA.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    If I absolutely, positively had to choose only 1 CD, then it would be :

"Mutter" - Rammstein

if allowed perhaps 9 more, then :

1. "Floodland" : - Sisters of Mercy
    Seriously ... Floodland above First & Last & Always?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X