• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Judgement Day 2

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Judgement Day 2"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Apparently they're all out of bribes though, having already tossed billions hard cash + many exemptions to the Emerald Isle.
    How about they decide to draw a new version of the map of Europe but because it's printed on A4 the bit on the left could accidently overun the sheet and then Ireland wouldn't have to vote 'cause it's not on the map?
    I think that's what they'll do.
    The bribes are to pay in part for the billions worth of natural resources (i.e. fish) that the EU have gathered from Ireland's Exclusive Economic Zone 200 miles out into the Atlantic.
    Ireland is a net contributor to Europe.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The difference being that Ireland was given the chance to ******* vote and we weren't!
    I concur with the dog! Give the whole damn European population the chance to vote through referendum and see what the outcome is. And I won't accept the argument that the elected Govt can be trusted to ratify on our behalf. The present NL Govt were voted in based on their manifesto which included the right to referendum on this issue and now they turn around and say poke it!

Roll on the general election, kick this shower out, get the tories in who will either give us the referendum or repeal what NL have done...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    I see Al Beeb is in "play Irelands no vote down" mode...after all, Ireland only has a couple million people compared to over 400 million in all of the EU!

Mailman
    The difference being that Ireland was given the chance to ******* vote and we weren't!

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    I see Al Beeb is in "play Irelands no vote down" mode...after all, Ireland only has a couple million people compared to over 400 million in all of the EU!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Apparently they're all out of bribes though, having already tossed billions hard cash + many exemptions to the Emerald Isle.
    How about they decide to draw a new version of the map of Europe but because it's printed on A4 the bit on the left could accidently overun the sheet and then Ireland wouldn't have to vote 'cause it's not on the map?
    So who's actually paying for this EU thing. Is it Germany?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I think countries fall into about 3 groups for this one.

IIRC Ireland is in the "make them vote again until they get the right answer" group.

(France is in the "they can have it anyway under a different name" group. The UK is in the "must never be allowed to vote on any aspect of EU whatever, or it will just be a proxy OUT vote" group).

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There's me and me and me and me and me and me and him over there...
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Hello
    But as we're all Spartacus anyway, I'm just talking to myself really.

Ho hum.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Oh this is priceless.
    I can't wait to see how Brussels tries to get out of this one!
    My guess, they will pass all the changes as individual directives, one-by-one.
    I think countries fall into about 3 groups for this one.

IIRC Ireland is in the "make them vote again until they get the right answer" group.

(France is in the "they can have it anyway under a different name" group. The UK is in the "must never be allowed to vote on any aspect of EU whatever, or it will just be a proxy OUT vote" group).

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    From the BBC blogosphere:

The ball is in the court of the Irish prime minister. Many politicians in Europe will hope that he will, at some later date, call another referendum.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Irish minister says EU vote lost

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7452171.stm

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    There's me and me and me and me and me and me and him over there...

Hello

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Come on then, explain it to us, we're waiting...
    How many of 'you' are there?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Come on then, explain it to us, we're waiting...
    I saw they had some turkey puppet doing the rounds, couldn't tell which side it was for, but it was bloomin funny.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    The BBC reports that "Many reportedly voted No because they did not understand the treaty".

So . . . *ahem* . . . . no stereotyping there, then.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Oh this is priceless.
    I can't wait to see how Brussels tries to get out of this one!
    My guess, they will pass all the changes as individual directives, one-by-one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X