• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving to Front Office"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Is front office where they have the bank tellers for grannies to cash their pensions/bingo winnings?
    bingo wings

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Is "Front Office" a euphemism? Like "Front Bottom".

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by dude69 View Post
    want to start working with people that make real money.....
    They'll make money, you won't necessarily...

They also might lose lots too.

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    My own opinion is it's not worth it. You're better off in middle or back office where it's less stressful. Nice to get one contract under your belt though so you can say you've done it. You don't necessarily get paid more and have to work longer hours so end up effectively a lower rate. You will however learn enough about personality defects to write a book on running a mental institution.
    yeah I thought that too. I have a zero-stress back office job (for three years now). But I'm bored of £125k/year (contract), and want to start working with people that make real money. happily go down a rate (a little), to get the gig. And my potential new gig is like the current one but more dull and boring

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Excuse me for being thick, but what is the difference between front office and back office?
    Is front office where they have the bank tellers for grannies to cash their pensions/bingo winnings?

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    It took me probably 4 years to move slowly from a back office role to front-office. I'm currently front-office and sit on the Cash and Currency trading desk. Main difference I found was the level of business knowledge you need, they will assume by default you know what they are talking about. I think its one of those things were you have to be lucky to get the first front-office gig and then when you have one the others will follow. My current gig is probably 50/50 in terms of technology and business split.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    On the plus side though, much much better totty in the front office.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    My own opinion is it's not worth it. You're better off in middle or back office where it's less stressful. Nice to get one contract under your belt though so you can say you've done it. You don't necessarily get paid more and have to work longer hours so end up effectively a lower rate. You will however learn enough about personality defects to write a book on running a mental institution.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    You lot wont believe what happened to me this morning.

Some Oik from the back office came up to me and tried to lay one on me. I nutted him. While he was down the others game him a good kicking and then security threw him out.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Er, if you are allready at an IB, have you tried popping down to the trading floor and asking about amongst the FO geeks? Someone might be looking.
    If you're one of those back office monkeys you won't have access to the trading floors.

I'm quite happy in my nice quiet back office gig at the moment. Quite dull, not really delivering anything strategic, but 9-5.30, and I'm working a 4 day week for the next 3 months.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Any tips from moving from Back to Front Office/Hedge Funds? Got a back office role on offer, but frankly boring, and want to move onwards and upwards into FX/Trading, etc.
    Er, if you are allready at an IB, have you tried popping down to the trading floor and asking about amongst the FO geeks? Someone might be looking.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Is "Front Office" a euphemism? Like "Front Bottom".

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Any tips from moving from Back to Front Office/Hedge Funds? Got a back office role on offer, but frankly boring, and want to move onwards and upwards into FX/Trading, etc.
    Lie on your CV*.

HTH.

*In no way treat this post as serious advice

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Yeah, the first gobby trader that winds you up, deck him! There and then, none of this "Quiet Word" sh!te!

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    started a topic Moving to Front Office

Moving to Front Office

Working...
X