• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Right, time for the pub."

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    The beebs 5 day forecast suggests rain 4/5 days. Perfect

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    you can usually cross the road and stand under the cover of the market.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    That's tomorrow afternoon after work sorted then
    You'd better hope that it doesn't rain then! Actually the one downside is this pub is so packed that I only ever go when the weather is good so I can stand outside.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Market Porter is a London institution.
    If you like your real beer - it's the best pub in central London that I know.
    Go right to the back where the guest beers are - changed every week.
    And in the summer you can stand outside and watch the hot totty that work in the trendy Borough offices walk by.
    That's tomorrow afternoon after work sorted then

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Market Porter is a good pub. Never been when it's not been packed though and can take ages to get served. Best to order a couple of rounds at a time.
    The sausage place next door never tires of telling people that "harry potter 3" was filmed there (if you've seen it, the bit near the start when he's in the 'leaky cauldron').

Also, the lane down the side of the market porter has been used as a location for many brit films, e.g. lock , stock...

If you like beer, the brewwharf is next door too, they have some decent ales on tap. Wine Wharf is next to that (part of vinoplois).
    Actually, it's pretty good round there for pubs, one of my favourite places in london. I much prefer it to the likes of camden etc, i think the vibe is much more laid back
    Agreed. Camden is actually a pretentious, dirty, dump.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Market Porter is a good pub. Never been when it's not been packed though and can take ages to get served. Best to order a couple of rounds at a time.
    The sausage place next door never tires of telling people that "harry potter 3" was filmed there (if you've seen it, the bit near the start when he's in the 'leaky cauldron').

Also, the lane down the side of the market porter has been used as a location for many brit films, e.g. lock , stock...

If you like beer, the brewwharf is next door too, they have some decent ales on tap. Wine Wharf is next to that (part of vinoplois).
    Actually, it's pretty good round there for pubs, one of my favourite places in london. I much prefer it to the likes of camden etc, i think the vibe is much more laid back

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Never tried that one but seems to get good reviews on beerintheevening.
    Market Porter is a London institution.
    If you like your real beer - it's the best pub in central London that I know.
    Go right to the back where the guest beers are - changed every week.
    And in the summer you can stand outside and watch the hot totty that work in the trendy Borough offices walk by.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    What about the Market Porter round the corner? The guest beers at the back are definitely worth a shot and you will often find me propping up the pub in the summer. Plus the shop next door does 3 posh sausages in a bap for £3.50 if you're hungry. Bliss.
    Never tried that one but seems to get good reviews on beerintheevening.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Posh sausages? Do explain....
    Let's just say they're no Tesco value. This is Borough market after all.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Filled with cream cheese?

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    What about the Market Porter round the corner? The guest beers at the back are definitely worth a shot and you will often find me propping up the pub in the summer. Plus the shop next door does 3 posh sausages in a bap for £3.50 if you're hungry. Bliss.
    Ummm sausage sandwich - or bacon..... I'm hungry

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    we must be talking about different Southwark Taverns then.

This one was fully functional last night, and did a reasonable Black Sheep too.

Ah, I see what you mean, Christoper House has indeed fallen down. The pub remains standing.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    That'll be a "Yes" then: linky.

Even its post code has gone.
    we must be talking about different Southwark Taverns then.

This one was fully functional last night, and did a reasonable Black Sheep too.

Ah, I see what you mean, Christoper House has indeed fallen down. The pub remains standing.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I haven't been in there since I worked in St Christopher House in Southwark Street.

Has it fallen down yet?
    That'll be a "Yes" then: linky.

Even its post code has gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X