• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LinkedIn and Agents"

Collapse

• jo99
    replied
    I learnt I could hide my contact list a while back......

I let agents join my network.........

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    It's quite easy to prevent your connections from seeing the people in your network:

Account & Settings>Privacy Settings>Connections Browse>No, hide my connections list

Job done, no more 'fishing' by agents.
    Well, that changes things then.
    Ta

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    It's quite easy to prevent your connections from seeing the people in your network:

Account & Settings>Privacy Settings>Connections Browse>No, hide my connections list

Job done, no more 'fishing' by agents.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I don't add agents to my LinkedIn account, because I've had bad experiences of being cold-called by agents claiming to be "a friend of your friend X" and then asking probing questions about current and previous colleagues, hiring managers etc.
    I also have friends and ex-colleagues who've been contacted by agents claiming that I have recommended them, blah blah.
    I'm made to look as though I've been handing out people's info willy-nilly, which is frowned upon by some.
    When an agent asks if I know someone who might be interested for perticular job, I always tell them I'll ask my friend to call them if interested, rather than opening up my contact directory for all to see.
    If it suits you to allow an agent to see all your contacts, then fine. Not for me though.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Agencies are using LinkedIn much more often now - the quality of the contacts and referrals means it's more likely a lead from LinkedIn will generate a gig than through other job sites. I know an agent who swears by it - he and his team use the site more than Jobserve, with great success.

Yes, they can request introductions to clients, and see your network - so only accept invites from the good agents you know well... <controversy>...contrary to popular belief, they do exist.</controversy>

I have a some headhunters and agents on my profile - mostly people I know socially - and their networks open me up to hiring managers at all sorts of firms, giving me quite a few opportunities.

Also - the roles that come my way are highly targeted - and suitable.
    What the Psycho Squirrel Said!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    LinkedIn and Agents

Agencies are using LinkedIn much more often now - the quality of the contacts and referrals means it's more likely a lead from LinkedIn will generate a gig than through other job sites. I know an agent who swears by it - he and his team use the site more than Jobserve, with great success.

Yes, they can request introductions to clients, and see your network - so only accept invites from the good agents you know well... <controversy>...contrary to popular belief, they do exist.</controversy>

I have a few headhunters and agents on my profile - mostly people I know socially - and their networks open me up to hiring managers at all sorts of firms, giving me quite a few opportunities to go direct.

Also - the roles that come my way are highly targeted - and suitable.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    I ignored a request from one that set me up for an interview six months ago.

I didn't get that gig either but that didn't stop him phoning up again last week to check my availability.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    My fear is they suddenly have access to my connection lists etc and new people to cold call (contact) etc.

Should this be a worry?
    Yes. I started adding agents but have since dropped most of them again because of that kind of behaviour. Now I just have a couple I have met and my current pimp.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I think I have a couple but not too many. Apparently it leads to problems for pimps:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...din_hays_ions/

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    My fear is they suddenly have access to my connection lists etc and new people to cold call (contact) etc.

Should this be a worry?

TM
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    I don't add them unless I have had a phone/email conversation first. Otherwise it feels just like they're spamming you and hoping to get a hit.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    My fear is they suddenly have access to my connection lists etc and new people to cold call etc.

Worry?

TM
    Why worry?

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied

Should this be a worry?

TM
    Last edited by themistry; 10 June 2008, 10:51.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I do not add them as connections.

I can't think of a good reason other than I don't want them there.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I've had a few agents try to add me onto LinkedIn...

Should I or Should I not?

Thoughts appreciated

TM
    It depends whether you're a mature minded businessman or just a money grabbing code-monkey.

If you're the former, then yes, the more contacts the better.

The latter? WGAS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X