• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Road tax - "green tax" rise for older cars"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    There's six of us in our family, but it's very rare that we all need to go somewhere at the same time in the same car. We actually do have two C1s. Mine's parked up most the time as I cycle to work. Just gets used occasionally at the weekend.

We used to have a Land Rover Defender with ten seats, then a Honda FR-V with six seats, which were both great for big family camping expeditions but, as I say, the vast majority of the time there were no more than four people in the car at any one time, if that.

On the rare occasions when all six of us go away for the weekend together now, we use two cars. Which seems a bit mad, but the savings week after week justify odd moments of madness (I think).
    Cool. Right now we could get away with a C1 and a roof rack to put our holiday stuff on top. But once you get that many kids..you end up getting a people carrier..especially if they are young.

I have sold off our ageing Mazda 626 - and am now in the market for a tiny car..SMART, C1 et al for those times I need to visit clients. Right now I have to use the grotty Passat.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Yeah, but that's big head talking. He's rarely involved in big decision making, like buying a car, otherwise we'd all be buying Aygos.

Don't be gay. No red blooded male would do that!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes if you only use the sports car once in a blue moon. Hire one when you fancy a blast.
    Yeah, but that's big head talking. He's rarely involved in big decision making, like buying a car, otherwise we'd all be buying Aygos.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Does the same logic apply to sports cars?
    Yes if you only use the sports car once in a blue moon. Hire one when you fancy a blast.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It is cheaper to run a small car and then hire a big people carrier for the odd family holiday than it is to buy a people carrier that sits on the drive 99% of the time or goes round with two people in it.
    Does the same logic apply to sports cars?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It is cheaper to run a small car and then hire a big people carrier for the odd family holiday than it is to buy a people carrier that sits on the drive 99% of the time or goes round with two people in it.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Clearly a tax on families...as we have to buy larger vehicles to carry our progeny around in. Unless we buy two C1's and a small trailer....
    There's six of us in our family, but it's very rare that we all need to go somewhere at the same time in the same car. We actually do have two C1s. Mine's parked up most the time as I cycle to work. Just gets used occasionally at the weekend.

We used to have a Land Rover Defender with ten seats, then a Honda FR-V with six seats, which were both great for big family camping expeditions but, as I say, the vast majority of the time there were no more than four people in the car at any one time, if that.

On the rare occasions when all six of us go away for the weekend together now, we use two cars. Which seems a bit mad, but the savings week after week justify odd moments of madness (I think).

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Clearly a tax on families...as we have to buy larger vehicles to carry our progeny around in. Unless we buy two C1's and a small trailer....
    You should be taxed more anyway.

Your little darlings are breathing out CO2!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Fuel prices are rocketing too, haven't you heard?
    Fair enough I say, it's a tax on stupid people who think a big car gives them "status". Most of them have got a loan out to pay for it as well.
    I haven't, on both cars.

Ah well, it's only money.

No pockets in shrouds...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    I nearly went to a dealer today to get 2.5 ( 203 CO2 E issions ) Petrol Engine. The ground being "If I don't drive one today I might never anymore !". But then realizing that 203CO2 Emissions might be impossible to sell I balked.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Anyone here with a car registered after March 2001 that emits more than 225g of CO2 per km is now going to have to pay £300 pa for road tax and £430 pa from 2010.

Add to this a 2p increase on fuel duty, and it's "fair" to say you'll be doing your bit to keep green.

New Labour, tough on C02, tough on the causes of CO2.
    Remove the Catalytic converter, that'll cut down on the CO2 produced.

Churchill - In "Junior Hacksaw at the ready" mode!

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Always wanted one, never quite been in the position to go for it. It'll happen one day. Probably the day after oil runs out or something.
    they are gorgeous cars. no doubt about it. join the toc and/or the ccc and start investigating early is my advice.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Wouldn't that be newer cars or are cars registered pre-2001 considered classic already?

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Typical of Browny. He's bailed out Northern Rock, Got screwed over 10p tax and now he needs to recoup the cash from somewhere......??? Now where could that come from???

Of course I'll screw the average motorist even more than they are already and what reason can I use??? Oh yes the perfect topic at the moment GREEN. I'm sick and tired of all this green bul****t absolute crap... he just a theiving Bar stuard.. Roll on genarl election so we can get rid of this default prime miniter and all his cronies..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X