• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unemployed in 5 hours......"

Collapse

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    helping on an open source project?
    I'm afraid thats just like work to me. IT for me is not a hobby it pays for those hobbies I do like

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    In hindsight I could have taken quite a few contracts but I considered most of them 'beneath me', I held on thinking a perfect one would come up eventually as it always has in the past.

After 4 months on the bench my funds have dried up and I'm about to start a gig on my lowest rate in 5 years and on top of that it's miles away, my advice is take whatever you can get and never stop looking.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
    My current contract finishes in just under 5 hours. I've not been out of work for nearly 2 years now. Always finished one gig and into another.

This time round though I have cash to cover me for around 5 months but I'm having to cure my contracrtoritis (buy whatever I see) sharpish.

I'm trying hard to find the positives.... Time off to do what I want etc etc however the butterflies are there and I'm a little worried to be honest

It's my intention to do some homers for the locals if I can not quite a plan B but some work might come out of it who knows.

I also might hit the books and brush up on my skills.

Anyone got any other ideas (genuine please )

helping on an open source project?

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Go on a .Net course pronto

That feeling in the stomach is good, if you lose that you are in trouble. 5 months is plenty to be quite choosy and I don't think things are as bad out there as some are saying on here, quite the opposite in my game.
    Genuine question how difficult is .net to learn?

I don't come from a programming background.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Go on a .Net course pronto

That feeling in the stomach is good, if you lose that you are in trouble. 5 months is plenty to be quite choosy and I don't think things are as bad out there as some are saying on here, quite the opposite in my game.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    If it makes you feel better, you'll still be technically employed assuming you're running a limited company. It's just that your company won't be making any money and won't be able to pay you much of a salary.

If all else fails, there's always the Wilmslow way.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Go permie.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    started a topic Unemployed in 5 hours......

Unemployed in 5 hours......

My current contract finishes in just under 5 hours. I've not been out of work for nearly 2 years now. Always finished one gig and into another.

This time round though I have cash to cover me for around 5 months but I'm having to cure my contracrtoritis (buy whatever I see) sharpish.

I'm trying hard to find the positives.... Time off to do what I want etc etc however the butterflies are there and I'm a little worried to be honest

It's my intention to do some homers for the locals if I can not quite a plan B but some work might come out of it who knows.

I also might hit the books and brush up on my skills.

Working...
X