• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brown's plan for the cost of petrol"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Jammy B*st*rd View Post
    I'm not sure how this works, but what i don't understand is that surely if the petrol prices go up so does the tax, so why the need of increasing it by 2p when in fact you're getting the 2p, if not more, already?
    Only the VAT bit automatically rises as it's a percentage - the other bit is a fixed value per litre.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    He's going to ask the oil companies to do something to reduce the price, get the kudos for that, and then add the 2p in fuel duty afterwards. I reckon.

Linky
    Brown's real plan

1. find sandpit

2. Dig hole

3. Bend over (no not for that!)

4. Lower head into hole

5. Cover with sand

Meanwhile Alaistair Darling is still digging his hole

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Jammy B*st*rd View Post
    I'm not sure how this works, but what i don't understand is that surely if the petrol prices go up so does the tax, so why the need of increasing it by 2p when in fact you're getting the 2p, if not more, already?
    They want more!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    I hate to have to say this, but under New Liebour the percentage of tax is 66%. Under the Tories it was 76%. Thank God for New Liebour is all I can say.
    I really hope that is saccasm or you just don't understand percentage over base calculations.

Leave a comment:

• Jammy B*st*rd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    When I was last in the USA you had to pay before filling - or use the card thing in the pump - would that be so difficult to do?
    Local Tesco has pay at pump. You have to press a button telling them you want to pay inside, at which point I assume it takes a lovely high-res mug-shot.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    So, that's the first 90p accounted for. What about the other 30p?
    That's an image from 2005 (bottom right corner)

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    There is a new stinger device. Installed at 10 petrol forecourts in the UK. Including one half a mile from me. Guess which one has had the only attempted drive off since the system was installed?
    When I was last in the USA you had to pay before filling - or use the card thing in the pump - would that be so difficult to do?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Here's an idea, why don't we all buy a banger, drive them all down to London, dump them and gridlock the city?
    I organized that in Feb 2005. I had a list of 100 committed activists who would do "anything". In the end only 12 went ahead with it!

What amazed me is how easy it is - loads of garages have cars they want to sell for a few quid. Wear driving gloves (no finger prints). Park car, remove key, add steering lock, bit of oil on the road. Lovely jubly.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    There's an article in today's Mail (a copy of which I flick through in reception in the lunch hour) that garages are seeing a sudden surge in the number of people filling with small amounts of petrol and driving off forecourts without paying. Needless to say the police don't give a toss.

But as more and more garages in London have closed down anyway, to make way for new office blocks, it can't be long before running out of petrol while driving becomes more frequent too, which will lead to more traffic jams (and thus more irate motorists, also driving on empty half the time, running out of petrol and so on .. ).
    There is a new stinger device. Installed at 10 petrol forecourts in the UK. Including one half a mile from me. Guess which one has had the only attempted drive off since the system was installed?

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    There's an article in today's Mail (a copy of which I flick through in reception in the lunch hour) that garages are seeing a sudden surge in the number of people filling with small amounts of petrol and driving off forecourts without paying. Needless to say the police don't give a toss.

But as more and more garages in London have closed down anyway, to make way for new office blocks, it can't be long before running out of petrol while driving becomes more frequent too, which will lead to more traffic jams (and thus more irate motorists, also driving on empty half the time, running out of petrol and so on .. ).

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It's for the environment!!!
    Think of the Children!!!
    Oh the humanity!

Here's an idea, why don't we all buy a banger, drive them all down to London, dump them and gridlock the city?

They want to tax us out of our cars, let's show them.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    So, that's the first 90p accounted for. What about the other 30p?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl...cing/img/1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I'm joining the "poodling along in the slow lane in front of lorries" movement. I'll start next time I hit the M40.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X