• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sterling or Euro Travellers' Cheques"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Travellers Cheques

I regularly use travellers cheques. Normally £5k-£10k at a time as I always find that Thai baht for the same amount requires a suitcase.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Hero, I think! Robbing the rich (banks, UK IR) to give to the poor (me)

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    Good point wendigo! They should be called sharks, not banks. You UK people who complain about your banks, they are still 100 times better than anything in Antipodea calling themselves "bank".
    You are fully justified when robbing them!

Ned Rebecca Kelly - a thief or a hero?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Well I wouldnt say 100 times...maybe closed to 99 is a bit more accurate!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    They have banks in NZ?
    Good point wendigo! They should be called sharks, not banks. You UK people who complain about your banks, they are still 100 times better than anything in Antipodea calling themselves "bank".

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    If only my bank manager from NZ could see me now!

Mailman
    They have banks in NZ?

What do they keep in them?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    No, you've just never noticed, which is not the same thing. HSBC (amongst others) hide the charge by including it in the line item on your statement in the form of a crappy rate.[/url]
    No...I dont get charged any fee's because Im a preferred customer

Gawd its so nice being in a country where my bank thinks of me as an investment and not a bludger! If only my bank manager from NZ could see me now!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    But you may pay extortionate charges, Halifax for example charges 2.75% + £1.50 per transaction if you use an ATM abroad.

The only one who does not charge currently is Nationwide.
    Nationwide are v Good. They don't charge a fee AND give you the proper exchange rate (as close as damn it to the currency market rate) much better than exchanges sell at. I don't understand why people still use Barclays, Natwest HBOS etc

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    But you probably don't need that much cash anyway as you can pay by credit card for most transactions, same as here really...

Rebecca in "Travelled 5 continents, me!" mode
    Do you pay in the shops or you just nick here and there.

ned "rebecca" kelly

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Show Off! Only managed 3 meself.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    best way to get some foreign cash is to buy on line at Travelex or such store.... best rates no commission, if you think you know how much you want approx
    Of course it can be nicked but France isn't too bad really apart from a few dodgy cities, so keep the cash in your pocket and you'll be sweet!
    But you probably don't need that much cash anyway as you can pay by credit card for most transactions, same as here really...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by planetit
    And you’d do all this for a family holiday in France? Good grief man, just take some Euros and a few cards and stop making life so complicated.
    I know its a little over board for some people.
    Comes in handy when you have been commuting to mainland Europe for work since 1998 though.
    Used to pay a fortune in exchange rate differences and then overseas transfers. God bless the Euro.

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    CG are you an American by any chance?
    Nope!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlG
    Thanks for the info.

Puzzled as to why someone who isn't inspired by foreign travel is automatically some doddery old fool who is a menace to other road users; but hey! never mind
    CG are you an American by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I find that an overseas bank account in Euros helps particularly when I have another with the same bank in GBP. It also helps to have an onshore account with the same people, thus avoiding exchange rate and bank transfer fees.
    And you’d do all this for a family holiday in France? Good grief man, just take some Euros and a few cards and stop making life so complicated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X