• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: VOIP Security

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "VOIP Security"

Collapse

• DGK
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    You have to ask? Post your bank details here or quit trolling...
    Cliphead was obviously clueless. Thanks to all who contributed. There are some clever chaps on here. not like the old 'paper-MCSE Mordac days.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I thought it was the little blip tone to tell the person on hold they were lucky to not be hearing some godawful version of greensleaves
    That's because I his heducated and you hisn't.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Nah, it's filler when otherwise there would be no sound between words, people are so enured to copper wire you see. If you're lucky it's just low level white noise.
    Or if you do it properly it's a function of the previously sent RTP packets...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I thought it was the little blip tone to tell the person on hold they were lucky to not be hearing some godawful version of greensleaves
    Nah, it's filler when otherwise there would be no sound between words, people are so enured to copper wire you see. If you're lucky it's just low level white noise.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    That's like the attract sequence on a fruit machine. Lets the bar staff know that no one has stolen it.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Now tell him about "Comfort Noise"...
    That's like the attract sequence on a fruit machine. Lets the bar staff know that no one has stolen it.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    EnCOder/DECoder - CODEC. Simply analog to digital conversion, and back again. Different ones compress at different rates - with resulting differential in packet size. Ties in to voice quality somewhat as well. Fine tuned to fit in with our perceptible audio range.

Then there's video codecs/ stuff for fax etc which has different requirements - but we're talking specifically voice ones, so mainly down to how big the pack size is, versus voice quality etc.

That help?
    It certainly does, thank you snaw

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Nah, your turn.

Starts getting all twisty for me as soon as you get into all that VOIP tuning stuff: input gain, output attenuation and impedance ... makes my brain hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    EnCOder/DECoder - CODEC. Simply analog to digital conversion, and back again. Different ones compress at different rates - with resulting differential in packet size. Ties in to voice quality somewhat as well. Fine tuned to fit in with our perceptible audio range.

Then there's video codecs/ stuff for fax etc which has different requirements - but we're talking specifically voice ones, so mainly down to how big the pack size is, versus voice quality etc.

That help?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    What is a codec?

DA in "trying to learn" mode

That help?
    Last edited by snaw; 16 May 2008, 09:42.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Could there be an issue of access to the company phone book and social engineering attack implications?

Leave a comment:

• Kinvara
    replied
    Mitel!!!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Nah, just messing with you.

Guess it's all about perspective. You're a developer and clearly see it through those eyes - I'm coming at it from the infrastructure side and have a slightly different slant.

For me the biggest security risk is the access to the physical port part, or packet capture/call replay not injecting audio into a SIP conversation - btw don't recall him specifically mentioning SIP, as opposed to say MGCP etc - same with CODEC, he's talking about password on the phone, the CODEC isn't really that big a deal vis-a-vis VOIP security.

Not being antagonistic, just bored and picking a few holes in your statements. Plus happen to be doing a fair bit of VOIP at the moment so it's kind of topical for me.
    What is a codec?

DA in "trying to learn" mode

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Mods! Mods!

On the basis that I haven't got a Scooby Do what these two are on about - can this be moved to Technical please...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Nah, just messing with you.

Guess it's all about perspective. You're a developer and clearly see it through those eyes - I'm coming at it from the infrastructure side and have a slightly different slant.

For me the biggest security risk is the access to the physical port part, or packet capture/call replay not injecting audio into a SIP conversation - btw don't recall him specifically mentioning SIP, as opposed to say MGCP etc - same with CODEC, he's talking about password on the phone, the CODEC isn't really that big a deal vis-a-vis VOIP security.

Not being antagonistic, just bored and picking a few holes in your statements. Plus happen to be doing a fair bit of VOIP at the moment so it's kind of topical for me.
    Holes?

How very dare you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X