• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Estate agents "suffering" in current economic climate"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think that is part of a much wider problem. We should be.
    I have a degree in an engineering discipline and I apply that knowledge when performing my work. I have acquired years of on the job knowledge.

Maybe profession is beyond us as software engineers, but I feel that chartered status should be available and be required as a must have to perform some functions.

I am constantly amazed by some of the people who work on software for systems that could kill hundreds should they fail. Let alone the people who have developed (or failed to develop) the failed government projects that have cost billions.

Can you imagine the uproar if a bridge collapsed and you found out that the engineering team had no quals and weren't chartered?

Yet it is still acceptable to hire software developers who have learned to write software by "playing" with it.

Oooooh, went off on one then...........................
    *Hides his hotel & catering degree and shuffles away quietly*

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I could still sell it
    I think Da is right on this one - for example Tehran would pay well for this.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    You are still not a profession
    I think that is part of a much wider problem. We should be.
    I have a degree in an engineering discipline and I apply that knowledge when performing my work. I have acquired years of on the job knowledge.

Maybe profession is beyond us as software engineers, but I feel that chartered status should be available and be required as a must have to perform some functions.

I am constantly amazed by some of the people who work on software for systems that could kill hundreds should they fail. Let alone the people who have developed (or failed to develop) the failed government projects that have cost billions.

Can you imagine the uproar if a bridge collapsed and you found out that the engineering team had no quals and weren't chartered?

Yet it is still acceptable to hire software developers who have learned to write software by "playing" with it.

Oooooh, went off on one then...........................

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I dont think you can call it a trade even.
    I think I can.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

profession, n.
    7. a. An occupation in which a professed knowledge of some subject, field, or science is applied; a vocation or career, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification. Also occas. as mass noun: occupations of this kind.

trade, n.
    5. a. The practice of some occupation, business, or profession habitually carried on, esp. when practised as a means of livelihood or gain; a calling; formerly used very widely, including professions; now usually applied to a mercantile occupation and to a skilled handicraft, as distinct from a profession (PROFESSION 6a), and spec. restricted to a skilled handicraft, as distinguished from a professional or mercantile occupation on the one hand, and from unskilled labour on the other. in trade, following a mercantile occupation, spec. that of a shop-keeper.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A blag rather than a trade as in "safe blaggers".

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Agreed. It's a trade. Sometimes highly skilled, and sometimes highly paid, but nevertheless, a trade.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Agreed. It's a trade. Sometimes highly skilled, and sometimes highly paid, but nevertheless, a trade.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Dodgy!!! That is almost actionable.
    How so? I don't sell it. I build customised software to the clients requirement. It is sold once the contract is signed as long as it meets the spec.

I dont know the radar freqs or the weapons settings either.
    You are still not a profession

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I bet I could sell all the crap you build better than you could
    Dodgy!!! That is almost actionable.
    How so? I don't sell it. I build customised software to the clients requirement. It is sold once the contract is signed as long as it meets the spec.

I dont know the radar freqs or the weapons settings either.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Don't the Russians want it?
    To go in what? It's a closed system, knowing how the software works isn't going to help them much.

Knowing what frequency the radar is on might be a bit more useful.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I doubt it, eurofighter software is a bit of a closed market...
    Don't the Russians want it?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I could still sell it

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Go on I'll bite.
    I bet I can acquire and place 10 contractors (your job) before you can either:
    Validate and Verify the software process for a small jet trainer.
    Write a device driver for a graphics card and write the testware for the box it sits in.
    Port the navigation software for a euro fighter from an old 68K mother board to a new ppc and slice it up to b enon platform specific.
    Write the testware for the Tornado ballistic and guided weapons system.
    Write the software for the eurofighter radar.
    Design and write the software to intercept any flight plan introduced which lists banned air frames, operators or country of departure.
    Gather the requirements for any aircraft system.
    Do the design and produce teh UML and other specs for said system.
    Create the testware for said system.
    (some of the above are easier than others. Shortest is a 6 weeker. You should be able to figure out which).

My job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X