• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Manchester Congestion Charge ???"

Collapse

• LegendsWear7
    replied
    Road pricing: first scheme outside of London to be announced for Manchester

Clean up - please ignore. Thank you
    Last edited by LegendsWear7; 10 December 2008, 14:11. Reason: Clean up - please ignore. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    That is something i am investigating doing!! That is fine for sunny days however, and would increase my journey by nearly 2miles due to non use of motorway.
    Good luck with it. You can always take it easy at first - cycle in, train home, train in, cycle home etc.

Sunny days, contrary to popular opinion, are often very uncomfortable for cycling. Best days are overcast, maybe with a bit of drizzle. Which is fortunate for us in the North West.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    It's not an area charge, it's to cross the boundary, at peak times.

If you are already in it you don't pay.
    Marvellous, that rules out most journeys

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Ahh, I see.

Trying to charge for anything inside the M60 is a bit of a cheek. It covers a massive area.
    It's not an area charge, it's to cross the boundary, at peak times.

If you are already in it you don't pay.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Prestwich is under Bury council and inside the m60

Ahh, I see.

Trying to charge for anything inside the M60 is a bit of a cheek. It covers a massive area.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    4, bicycle. 13 miles should certainly take less than an hour door-to-door, even with the hilly bits round those parts.
    That is something i am investigating doing!! That is fine for sunny days however, and would increase my journey by nearly 2miles due to non use of motorway.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Last time I drove past Bury it was outside the M60. Is it sprawling like the cesspit fungus it is?
    Prestwich is under Bury council and inside the m60

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It's not inevitable, and it's not just central manchester, inside the m60 is being touted. This is why Bury has gone back to the Conservatives for the first time since the early 70s. They need 6 out of 10 councils and 4 were opposed, after the drubbing last night it could be 5 or 6 against.

Last time I drove past Bury it was outside the M60. Is it sprawling like the cesspit fungus it is?

Besides Bury has a tram link to central manchester. Bloody slow though. Once caught the tram back from manchester with a bird who lived in bury. She'd fallen asleep by the time we got there. Maybe my drunken conversation isn't as scintillating as I think.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    totally disagree! i live in Rochdale, 13miles from the office. 3 options:
    1, bus to City centre, bus to office = 1.4hrs travelling
    2, bus to train station, train, tram or walk across centre, bus to office = 1.5hrs
    3, car = 45mins.
    4, bicycle. 13 miles should certainly take less than an hour door-to-door, even with the hilly bits round those parts.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    That's why I drink Babycham
    Don't think I'd go that far, especially if in the Canal Street area!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Ohhh 2 contractors from Rochdale!!

Where in Rochdale Scooby? I live 3 miles out of rochdale and all the busses etc go on a reduced timetable after 6 meaning that you have a half hour wait in the lovely bus station - which is why I drive
    Foxholes, the posh bit of Syke!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Ohhh 2 contractors from Rochdale!!

Where in Rochdale Scooby? I live 3 miles out of rochdale and all the busses etc go on a reduced timetable after 6 meaning that you have a half hour wait in the lovely bus station - which is why I drive

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    I think it's inevitable Manchester will get it at some point.

Maybe not a completely bad thing. They have a good tram system, and if I ever land a gig (or give in and go permie) in central manchester my car will largely be redundant.

Not sure I can afford the city centre lifestyle though. Was there the other weekend and got ripped 5 quid for a pint of cherry beer! I hope it counted as 1 of the 5 a day fruit/veg.
    totally disagree! i live in Rochdale, 13miles from the office. 3 options:
    1, bus to City centre, bus to office = 1.4hrs travelling
    2, bus to train station, train, tram or walk across centre, bus to office = 1.5hrs
    3, car = 45mins.

unless they sort the tram to Rochdale which they have supposedly been doing for years, then i'll always be in car. its also cheaper at approx £2.50 diesel and £3 parking. train ticket alone costs £5.40.

the surrounding councils also need to agree, and there are several not interested, however, if i'm being honest, the congestion charge suggested is only £1 as i avoid the center, so it will be a business expense that is very affordable and no incentive to leave the car anyway!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I think it's inevitable Manchester will get it at some point.

Maybe not a completely bad thing. They have a good tram system, and if I ever land a gig (or give in and go permie) in central manchester my car will largely be redundant.
    It's not inevitable, and it's not just central manchester, inside the m60 is being touted. This is why Bury has gone back to the Conservatives for the first time since the early 70s. They need 6 out of 10 councils and 4 were opposed, after the drubbing last night it could be 5 or 6 against.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Northern Quarter?

No, I think it was closer to deansgate locks as it was around the corner from granada studios. Not too sure of the area demarkations, only go into manchester a few times a year at most.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X