• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Doing the needful

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doing the needful"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well you called it a polluted tulip-hole. That may be true of the majority of Bangalore, by our standards, but the high tech parks are second to none. And unusually for India (I think) it has a vibrant drinking culture. I found the natives very friendly - it's easy to go out for a drink on your own and meet a few people to get rat-arsed with.
    I'd refer to London in pretty much the same terms, it's no sleight on Bangalore. Had a look at some photos of the office there this afternoon, it looks far more pleasant than the one I'm in now. Still going to try for the extra cash.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind going, but I have no intention of doing it for free. Think I'll pitch it at +50% plus business class flights and a nice hotel.
    Well you called it a polluted tulip-hole. That may be true of the majority of Bangalore, by our standards, but the high tech parks are second to none. And unusually for India (I think) it has a vibrant drinking culture. I found the natives very friendly - it's easy to go out for a drink on your own and meet a few people to get rat-arsed with.
    Last edited by sasguru; 30 April 2008, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    What a sad attitude to have. A few years ago I was sent to investigate outsourcing options in Bangalore. Had a whale of a time and was pleasantly impressed. If you go to one of the campus parks, their offices are likely to be better than yours here.

Of course you should charge 'em extra
    plus they actually know what customer service is there.

Drivers are paid for the full day, so after you get dropped off at the office, if you need to pop out, the driver is there waiting for you.

when I was in Chennai i had some excellent food, the restaurants are fantastic. Only bad point is that most of them are "family restaurants" so don't serve booze.

Shopping malls are well serviced too, if your wife/girlfriend wants anything then get a list and prepare to pick up a few bargins

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Are you mental? The daily rate is agreed for a specified location - if they want you to go somewhere else, the rate increases.

Go steady. Wilmslow is a permie now. He's beginning to think like one and already saluting the flag.

DiscoStu can expect a similar responce from the permies he's working with.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    What a sad attitude to have. A few years ago I was sent to investigate outsourcing options in Bangalore. Had a whale of a time and was pleasantly impressed. If you go to one of the campus parks, their offices are likely to be better than yours here.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind going, but I have no intention of doing it for free. Think I'll pitch it at +50% plus business class flights and a nice hotel.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    The way I see it, you have a contract agreed for a daily rate.
    Are you mental? The daily rate is agreed for a specified location - if they want you to go somewhere else, the rate increases.

Go for +25% on daily rate to compensate for being away from home, full 5* expenses (hotel, driver everywhere, club class flights) and £50 a day spends. You don't have to pay yourself that, but it's a nice earner for the company.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I wouldn't do it out of principle. Fook 'em.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Company policy? You seem to be confusing me with a permie. Standard rate for spending two weeks in a polluted tulip-hole and telling me to do it for the experience? You're having a larf...
    Well, don't go if you don't want to!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Is there a company policy on expenses? If so, I personally would accept the experience of India, claim expenses as per the company policy and keep the same rate.

Will you be working weekends? If so, more money. If not, get on out and about and experience India from Friday afternoon to Monday morning!
    Company policy? You seem to be confusing me with a permie. Standard rate for spending two weeks in a polluted tulip-hole and telling me to do it for the experience? You're having a larf...

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    dont drink the water
    dont eat the food
    dont sh@g any of the women
    dont sleep in the beds

apart from that - have a nice time

oh and dont sh@g any of the men either

Also - Don't drive... And, if you get a driver, avoid being on the roads out of rush hour. Accidents in rush hour are comical due to low speeds. Once out of rush hour, risk of death a lot greater!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Client Co may want me to go to Bangalore for a couple of weeks to look at some stuff. I don't mind going, but would like the panel's expert opinion on how much extra wedge to ask for if they're wanting me to leave my Playstation 3 for a fortnight.
    dont drink the water
    dont eat the food
    dont sh@g any of the women
    dont sleep in the beds

apart from that - have a nice time

oh and dont sh@g any of the men either

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Client Co may want me to go to Bangalore for a couple of weeks to look at some stuff. I don't mind going, but would like the panel's expert opinion on how much extra wedge to ask for if they're wanting me to leave my Playstation 3 for a fortnight.

Is there a company policy on expenses? If so, I personally would accept the experience of India, claim expenses as per the company policy and keep the same rate.

Will you be working weekends? If so, more money. If not, get on out and about and experience India from Friday afternoon to Monday morning!

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    No GTA IV for a fortnight...

Double your rate + expenses.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    started a topic Doing the needful

Doing the needful

Working...
X