• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Phone Interview

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phone Interview"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    I take it all back, yesterday I landed a gig with a telephone interview only.

Currently prancing around the house in just my boxers, smug as f***!

Ironic that when I did the telephone interview I was at the other end of the country, having driven there for a face-to-face interview, only to find they're not really looking for someone with my skills-set, and that's after a supposed technical test via a phone interview I had the day before.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Grolubao View Post
    Yeah, never understood why they want us to know some picky things... Are they really from IT, cus anytime anybody has a question, he googles it, a person doesn't have to know everything on the tip of the tongue, that's the way our job is done.
    They're trying to show that their recall memory and ability to learn stuff parrot fashion is better than yours.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Tempted to make sure I'm down PC World next time and hand the phone to the biggest geek I can find. Should pass no problem.
    You think?

Leave a comment:

• Grolubao
    replied
    i.e. too much effort. Rather just blag it.

Both phone interviews so far have been on my mobile. Tempted to make sure I'm down PC World next time and hand the phone to the biggest geek I can find. Should pass no problem. I just hope the interviewer really wants that overpriced piece of junk they buy, and doesn't expect me to support it when I'm on site.
    Yeah, never understood why they want us to know some picky things... Are they really from IT, cus anytime anybody has a question, he googles it, a person doesn't have to know everything on the tip of the tongue, that's the way our job is done.

I always did my job responsibly and without any of these geek questions, it's more of what techologies am I aware off.

I remember a couple years ago I had a phone interview and they asked me what is the purpose of a method in a pretty unknown class in Java. C'mon...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    Also hired someone myself a couple of weeks ago based on a strong CV and a 15 minute phone call.

Give me a bell next time you're hiring.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Are contracts on phone intrerviews common, or is it not the norm in the UK?
    This is why I'm not going to answer the question.

Every European gig has been as a result of a Phone interview only. None (except this one) of my UK gigs has been.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    I voted sometimes as I have got a position based on a 15 minute phone interview. Also hired someone myself a couple of weeks ago based on a strong CV and a 15 minute phone call.

Leave a comment:

• shelby68
    replied
    Last 2 interviews have been phone, got both gigs.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    edit: Obviously the cheatsheets on the wall idea also requires either phenomenal eyesight or a cordless phone, and to take the client's call in your home.

i.e. too much effort. Rather just blag it.

Both phone interviews so far have been on my mobile. Tempted to make sure I'm down PC World next time and hand the phone to the biggest geek I can find. Should pass no problem. I just hope the interviewer really wants that overpriced piece of junk they buy, and doesn't expect me to support it when I'm on site.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    with current oil prices that must have been the most expensive youtube clip ever

Turned out to be the intro to a particularly tasty diy cannibal cookery lesson.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Got distracted by a video of a couple of bints wrestling in oil.
    with current oil prices that must have been the most expensive youtube clip ever

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Yeah, the best bit about doing phone interviews is you can google the technical questions if you're stumped.

For one phone interview I made sure my mouse was wrapped in a towel so they couldn't here me clicking away. Still failed though. Got distracted by a video of a couple of bints wrestling in oil. I think there were up Scotland to keep the strikers entertained.
    Maybe what you need is a large blank wall, covered with cheatsheets, so when some stupid "either you know it or you don't" question comes up you can simply creep to the right area (which you'd need to memorize up front) and silently look up the answer.

Course that wouldn't work so well with timed on-line multiple choice tests, which I've had a couple of times in the last few years. I think these are getting more popular for pre-screening use by agencies.

edit: Obviously the cheatsheets on the wall idea also requires either phenomenal eyesight or a cordless phone, and to take the client's call in your home.
    Last edited by Marina; 29 April 2008, 16:12.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    My last four were phone interview only, and two before that were pretty much formality meetings following technical phone interview.

That said, I have also completely failed several phone interviews. But I was grateful for being on the phone, so they couldn't see me sweating and cringeing as I tried to bluff my way through whatever geek bollocks they were firing at me.
    Yeah, the best bit about doing phone interviews is you can google the technical questions if you're stumped.

For one phone interview I made sure my mouse was wrapped in a towel so they couldn't hear me clicking away. Still failed though. Got distracted by a video of a couple of bints wrestling in oil. I think there were up Scotland to keep the strikers entertained.
    Last edited by PAH; 29 April 2008, 16:11.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    My last four were phone interview only, and two before that were pretty much formality meetings following technical phone interview.

That said, I have also completely failed several phone interviews. But I was grateful for being on the phone, so they couldn't see me sweating and cringeing as I tried to bluff my way through whatever geek bollocks they were firing at me.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Went to the Middle East with the whole family based on 12 minute phone call

I did the same to butlins once. Travel agents aren't all bad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X